Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Vox AC30 Amp

Yeah Dano..that's sorta what I was suspecting would be the case.
I've heard this AC30 amp used at gigs with the guy playing a telecaster and fiddle and it sounds GREAT...and has stacks of output for a relatively small amp.
But the ' earthy' punchy sound of the cajun box would seem to be a bit incompatible with the subtleties of the tube amp.....
The Roland amp sounds interesting..I'll have a look and listen to one. In the meantime I think I'll stick with the Roland keyboard amp that my fellow band member uses and my back up would be my Marshall AVT100.

BTW..anyone know what the Vox series 33 and 55 electric guitars are like??..I just sold my Ibanez semi-hollow body and want to get into a solid body electric...not necessarily Fender.

i wouldn;t get a guitar amp
the sound is too colored

i;d get something for 'acoustic guitar'

but i also have to ask, don;t you have a PA with monitors?

if so why have an accordion amp?

i;ve never used one for anything

wle

Copy/paste from an old discussion topic..

Yeah..I use a Roland Keyboard Amp on stage with a wireless set up...that amps also DI'd through the main desk.
I'm not sure it matters what type of amp you use....the main thing is to be able to hear yourself at the level YOU want, IMHO.

The reason I now use the amp is that I think I play poorly when I can't get that 'punchy' on-stage level....
If the foldback level is weak, and foldback happens to be all I have for that gig, I tend to play less well...and, conversely, as a result I attempt to compensate by playing too hard to get the output I want...it's tiring.

The guys in the band ( 6 guys all electric gittars, keyboards, drums, etc etc ) also seem to get overwhelmed with the sheer output of the accordions when it's played solely through foldback monitors...so, the way I get the level I want, and the punch and drive I like, is to have the amp behind me at the level I want ...and the other band guys, being at almost 90 degrees to my amp are only getting the edges of it's output...and foldback can be reduced to a level that's appropriate.

As you'd appreciate, single row and other accordions with inbuilt mics can be HOT, signal wise...and sound engineers at the main desk ( when you're lucky enough to have a sound guy) , always seem to struggle with balancing the levels....and I always find that they have me down in the mix no matter how much I complain...perhaps I'm going deaf !!! LOL..anyway, these days I have the last laugh..I provide my own foldback, albeit right up my backside !

I wonder if for the cost of a good guitar amp you could buy a used PA head like a peavey 600 and one small pa cab and get a bigger cleaner tone than a guitar amp, thats what I have done and it works great, and you can then go out to main PA

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!