Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Philippe Bruneau RIP

One of his compositions played by himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrXIRiIVoPM&NR=1

Re: Philippe Bruneau RIP

M. Bruneau is the reason I started playing Quebec music and the one row...
He was also a brilliant 3 row player.

He established a standard of playing that has been reached by but a few.

RIP

Ze Frenche Connection - Savoy about Bruneau

Mark Savoy about Bruneau - from the Mark Savoy Page

Quote: "I began getting letters from Bruneau inquiring about my accordions. Several weeks after he received the first one that he ordered, I received a phone call from him saying that he was satisfied with everything except the tuning, and could I possibly retune it if he would ship it down? By that time, I had become addicted to his music and desired to hear more, so I asked why not come down to Louisiana and bring the accordion so that I could tune it to his specifications. Unable to spare the time because of TV work, he replied, "Why don't you come up to Canada?" I arrived in Montreal the next day, thinking I had a fair knowledge of music and that I could make out well enough playing the accordion. I was soon to learn that I knew very little about both. When we arrived at his home, he sat down in front of me and said, "Now I'll show you what your accordion can do." The only accurate recollection I have of that moment was my hair standing straight up and goosebumps all over my skin. Not only did I realize that I was in the presence of musical genius, I also realized that my Acadian accordions were not good enough for a musician of such talent. I became reinspired by my involvement with these musicians. I returned to Louisiana thinking about what Philippe demanded from an instrument and how I could incorporate these criteria into my present model. It was back to the drawing board again.

When I was satisfied that I had an instrument that could keep up with Mr. Bruneau, I called him to say that the new accordion was completed but that the only way he was going to get it would be to come down to Louisiana and pick it up personally He replied that he couldn't because of TV work which he was committed to. Several weeks later, he finally realized that I was not going to ship it to him, and after many accusations that I was the most stubborn man he had ever met, he finally arrived in Louisiana."

Re: Ze Frenche Connection - Savoy about Bruneau

I've always wondered what changes Marc made after talking with Bruneau.

Maybe something with the responsiveness of the instrument? To cope with Bruneau's virtuoso abilities and approach?

That would be my guess, too.

I must say that Bruneau was very helpful and generous with his advice to anyone who would listen. He was also a very likeable person. Gills Pare who died several years ago was much the same type of person.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!