Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: these guyz prove a point ....

These guys just don't have that Cajun ' bounce' do they...sounds a bit sort of one dimensional...but they're clearly talented.
For a moment there before the video got going I thought it was Jo-el Savoy and Steve Riley..but, no.

Is the point that it is possible to play with your thumb behind the keyboard?

Workmanlike playing...not much personality except for the Yo Yo Ma moment by the box player.

Nout, can you elaborate on the point you believe them to be making?

I hope it is not that young proficient musicians can play Cajun music without the tradition Cajun feeling, rhythm and soul.

Because that is what I see when I watch the video.
(No offence or disparagement of the players intended)

DP

More like they surely pin a point down. I like a little variation in the way of playing music within or without any style, and my taste is mainly acoustic. That variation is what makes music listen-able. How terrible boring if everyone would sound the same. Aarghhhhh.

These guys certainly play French music to my ears, and within a "Cajun Style" even. In the older recordings as made by Joe Falcon, Amedee Ardoin, Iry, others, you'll hear huge differences in grooving and musical approach. Any music that's subject to something called style, and being kept alive changes over time, there's no "correct" way. Long live variation and that might exactly be what creates a healthy (Cajun?) gene-pool and survival of the species & maybe fittest according Darwin ..... - Nout

Ah, Yo Yo Ma; c'est un musicien ...
& DP, i must quote my poorself:

fiddler
..... variation is what makes music listen-able. How terrible boring if everyone would sound the same ......

Cajun song yes Cajun style NO. American booobies yes

randy4u

What exactly IS "Cajun Style" today? Hiding the melody with machine gun note playing to "impress" others with how many notes a player can squeeze in? Seems what I hear the young guys doing now.

Don
randy4u

What exactly IS "Cajun Style" today? Hiding the melody with machine gun note playing to "impress" others with how many notes a player can squeeze in? Seems what I hear the young guys doing now.

Like who?

I've replayed that clip a few times..and to be fair I'd like to hear these guys doing it with a backing band of bass, drums, etc. that may force a pep and bounce in the delivery....for want of a better description.

However, an example, and contrast, is this, IMHO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KzudadmnyU

..but there are HEAPS of other examples where the playing technique makes me wanna get up 'n dance...Steve Riley/Dave Greeley, Geno Delafose...etc.
I think it's the bellows emphasis and finger bounce that gives it a sparkle. Those other guys in the video clip just make me lose interest about a half a minute in....they're smooth but bland.
Anyway..enough said...tomaytoes, tomaaatoes.

Well, i rest my case .... And the fiddler in your posted clip really draws your ear; if there is ever such a thing as a Cajun Circus with maybe a Live Crayfish and Crocodile Act this band would be one of my faves for this Circus' house band, I like circus music .... PS, as for the very last note played in the above clip, embedded here below, pin a point down once again, alas within another song ....

Nout

Can you please tell us what the point is that you are trying to make?

A famous British accordeon player went to Quebec to learn a bit of the music. HE went back to England and cut a CD with a fiddler...a few Quebec tunes.

I asked a famous elderly Quebec player whom I know had given some lessons to this famous Brit player...
"What did you think oif his playing on the CD"

His reply : " Well, the notes were all there"

The notes being there is not enough.
Though these two players are credible musicians, I don't get a buzz off their playing. Not a point of criticism , just my personal observation.

I would have rather seen some crashes and pitfalls and some real drive and thunder and some magic...
not just a near perfect recital.

Good music is not all about metronomic perfection...
what's the purpose of a painting or a piece of music..
to my belief it is to stir the soul.. No soul stirring here.

Too ****ed inhibited... let go... have some fun.. make some mistakes...give a little more. Like, get down an wallow in the mud.

Hey, Binky ..ya got it in one...LOL !

..and that folks is definitely the last post from me on this subject...I just thought Binky nailed it perfectly..given that it's not good to have too many mistakes..let's just call them grass roots improvisations for the purposes of this discussion. !

Hey, y'all want mistakes. I can feed you a steady supply!

This band still plays every Friday night at Randol's. Terry Huval the fiddle player is director of the Lafayette Utilities System.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!