Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
first steps with cajun box

Hey braves,

I just wanna show you my progress with cajun accordion and have some advises, you are the only people from who I can have it because I haven't any teacher or lads who play cajun box. So criticism are welcome!

I know isn't perfect, I only play cajun box for 5-6 months, and I ever notice some little lag in timing and I think I have to press basses longer (I have to work again on it), but I f you notice something else, please tell me!

Don't care of my singing, I know this is definitely not my thing (I never work on it), but if you have any advises to ameliorate it too, feel free to notice it to me (we create a band, and nobody want to sing, so I feel I 'll have to work on it anyway, even if this is, one more time, not my thing...)

The video are private and can be watched directly from link #1 (Waltz) link#2 (2Step) and link #3 (Blues).

Thanks for help,

Greg

Re: first steps with cajun box

Nice work for just 5-6 months of playing. I really don't see any problems with timing, and would just recommend that you keep playing. It will become more comfortable. Just a suggestion, and it's really a personal preference, but on a Blues number that has a slightly different feel than a two step such as the one you are playing, I recommend playing only the index finger on the bass side. Your rhythm won't feel quite so forced.

Great job!

Great work guys.
I agree with Ganey.
I don't know how to write it down, but it's sounds like you're in a hurry. Maybe some more relaxation.
Very good cajun guitar player.(IMO)
I will mail you some lyrics.

Shoot, that's better than I play after 10 years on some things.

On the blues one, something got lost on the emphasis of the beat. Perhaps in trying to get all the notes in, there was a lack of some pauses, or not emphasizing some of the swing with some extended or harder bellows pulls.

Pretty impressive though.

I think it's pretty frickin'amazing what you get out of that box after only half a year!! A waltz , a twostep AND a blues song! The whole trinity, with playing AND singing.

Suggestions? Well ...
Maybe your bass playing will get more comfortable if you let your middle and ring finger rest on the bass box, and just move index and pinky. Maybe you will get more grip that way. But that's up to you of course. And it's true, try to play them a bit longer than you do. It will "glue" the sound together.

IMHO that blues wasn't bad at all, on the contrary. I liked it. (but, I admit: I have a weak spot regarding Cajun blues). But I'd suggest to sing it an octave higher, if you can make it.
Nothing wrong with Ganey's suggestion, but personally I prefer to use both basses when I (try to) play Cajun blues.

Compliments also to your guitar player (your brother?)
It's very helpful to have somebody to back you up.
'Tits yeux noirs wouldn't have sounded half as good without that E chord!!

Thank you very much all of you braves for your precious advises and kind words.

@Peer => I 'll think about keeping my ring and middle fingers on the box, I never thought about doing it before, I guess it increase your dexterity and stability by having your box better in your hand, thanks!

Thanks you for the compliment about the Blues, but I must admit I learnt some licks from your version (I guess you noticed it ), and the lyrics from the Boat band's.

I follow you about singing in a higher pitch, in generally, Cajun seem to sing in a high pitch (I guess because the accordion sound is loud), but I have some matter to do the same... I'll try to correct it, maybe with work I 'll could. for the moment just trying to sing in tune would be good for me

And thanks for the guitarist, If someone can be amazing here it must be him because he only play guitar for....9 months, and he is already really good, I am lucky to found him!
(he is not my brother, lol ... I just see that guy playing in a street 3 month ago with an irish band. I loved his way of playing and ask him to make a cajun band with me...I won a good guitarist and a friend now!)

Greg

Well!! I'm impressed. I've been playing almost 2 years and you're way ahead. Good job for sure. Keep at it.

I'm curious. Do you speak french and understand what you are singing or are you like me and listen to so much cajun music that you think french and don't understand what you're thinking. :)

@ John =>Thank you too!

"I'm curious. Do you speak french and understand what you are singing or are you like me and listen to so much cajun music that you think french and don't understand what you're thinking. "

But yeah, I speak french and understand what I sing...but wait, you afraid me it... doesn't seem to be the case?

Anyway, your case seems to be worst!

Greg

Haha. It's frustrating to not understand what the voices in your head are singing.

Seriously though, I've been listening exclusively to cajun french music for almost 2 years and catch myself making small comments on things in french.

If it wasn't for the necessity to have a job and pay bills and all, I'd just go full immersion. Durn those bills and responsibilities.

"Seriously though, I've been listening exclusively to cajun french music for almost 2 years and catch myself making small comments on things in french"

Good thing, I perfectly understand you, this is very important to have a solid musical culture about the people you are playing music in order to really catch it!

Nice work, Greg. Way ahead of me.
John,
I, too, use phrases from francaise Cadien like, "moi je connais." I've been listening to the music for nearly 20 years and have watched millions of youtube videos, but couldn't get an accordian until last October. Now my business is taking off and I have no time to practice anymore! Still, I'm trying to gather musicians and fans of the music here in SoCal.
Keep on practicing, Greg, and I'll use you for inspiration. If you can do it, I can do it, too.
No, wait....I tried that attitude with racing cars. How do you sing, "wrecked the car" in French?
Ah, screw it. I'm gonna go practice some right now....I'll catch up on sleep when I'm dead.

Hi Greg .... You certainly are quite halfway on Le Chemin to Cajun-Fame and -Fortune on the melodeon. The only remark i really miss in the above posts i feel is quite important:

- If you ever want to achieve a better bellows control you should NOT let the bass-end hang down while you play. Lift the whole 2 or more kilograms up at all times & even use the top end and lower end of the air-chamber according to what feels right towards air pressure needed, and also regarding the melody notes you play. Especially fast bellows changes are much easier that way. But it needs some physical training, just as does standing up playing.

- For your Melodic Mental Skills and Sanity it is a great Thing that you Listen & Sing; that's how the soul and bollix comes in to the music you play on such a pretty primitive instrument as an one row melodeon. Play by a melody in your head, and to fiddle around with it is even better. If you play the fiddle too is really a plus: maybe pick one up and learn that a little too. Here's a Stinky Statement: Actually Cajun music is fiddle music first ... hear hear ... - Nout

PS were you hanging 'round in Saulieu?

Me not agree !!
Old Chinese proverb says:

While playing fiddle, Cajun fiddle music.
While playing accordion, Cajun accordion music.

Hello Peer and Nout, and Greg!

These are 2 very worthy observations...about Cajun accordion and Cajun fiddle music. I agree with you both.

Here is my observation (and question to you)...I think very very early, evolving "Cajun" music was definitely fiddle based. Then came along the Amadee Ardoin, Sidney Brown, Angelus LeJeune and Iry LeJeune era...I know that Iry played fiddle...Did Angelus and Amadee?

And who were the accordion players "pre-Amadee"? Surely he had to learn from someone, but who?

Perhaps a trip to the archives at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, may be a good next step in my own education.

Ray Abshire made a comment to me several years ago. He told me that if I wanted to be a good accordion player, I should hook up with a good FIDDLE player. (I am looking for an emerging or not so famous good fiddler and I have also embarked on learning to play the fiddle myself.) I have discovered that the large majority of truly great accordionists, actually do play the fiddle too. Which came first?, I am not sure, but Walter Mouton- Mark Savoy Steve Riley Wilson Savoy Chris Miller Ed Poullard just to name a few....Most of the others, surround themselves with some of the best fiddlers out there...Jimmy Breaux+Michael Doucet, Jesse Lege+Joel Savoy, Ray Abshire+Courney Granger, Wayne Toups+Beau Thompson and Jamie Bearb, etc....And then there are the superb fiddle players who are extremely good accordion players...Jamie Bearb and Jason Bergeron and Chris Stafford and John Dowden. I know there a many man others, so chime in!

My opinions..

CharlieB

Hi cb,

I recognize to don't have any answer to your question , but this is a really interesting observation, I would be curious to read some from others.

Thanks,

Greg

cb

And who were the accordion players "pre-Amadee"? Surely he had to learn from someone, but who?

These articles have been mentioned on here already, I think, and they don't solve the mystery of the first accordionists in Louisiana, but they're still interesting:

http://www.louisianafolklife.org/LT/Articles_Essays/LFF_FiddlingInLouisiana.html

http://www.louisianafolklife.org/LT/Articles_Essays/intro_and_use_of_accordions.html

Bien Merci, Monsieur Christian!

CharlieB

@ Tim, I know what you mean, the time is sadly not extensible, and music needs lots of time!

I hope you'll get more free time soon,

Good luck

@ Nout, Thanks for the advise, I have noticed it and I'll work on it for sure!

We created a band with the guitar player 3 months ago (3 months after have bought my box from you ), and I already found a fiddler (from the guitarist relation), he is really good and I would like to show him soon in order to have feedbacks about his playing. From our band (3 people) he is the only to have a large musical knowledge (he is playing violin for 15 years) and I must admit he contributes a lot in our progress!

Finally I WOULD LOVE to play fiddle, I love this instrument and have hesitated a long time in the choice between a box and a fiddle (I listened cajun music for 2 years before decided to practice music)...maybe one day I hope!

About Saulieu, I saw and listen to you many time with the All-Stars in front of "Le café Parisien". I was too ashamed to play with you because the level was very high and I didn't want to disturb you while playing...

So we played with beginners like us in the camping near a little pond, it was cool (this was the first time I met other accordionist) but next years I'll come playing and having a beer with you...so I have to work!

Greg

5-6 months! Great God A-mighty, son - you must be single and unemployed or independently wealthy!

That's amazing progress. If you keep this up, we're going to have to induct you into the Cameron Dupuy Hall of Fame!

@ Jamey Hall

Thank you for the kind words! it's very nice but it's too much honor!

But not unemployed or very rich
3 years ago, My boss asked me if I was interested to work half a time for the same price than a full time, with working only saturday and sunday (12 hours X 2), of course, I said YES!

No TV (I don't have because waste of time), girl and buddies at work, me at home, one solution to make profits from my free time....

So I was abled to spend many time on my box that 6 past months.

But now the dream is end and I now returning (next monday) to a "normal" life, at work, all day long, from monday to friday...

And no I'm not single, but I am lucky my girl agreed with me staying playing music at home, and she is a nurse, so she isn't often at home (some people could say that I am lucky for that too )

So to resume: I was a very lucky guy that all!

Greg

PS: thank you again Peer and Nout, from your advises I made some tests which make me realized how I was wrong about some thing and how it can sound better! [

Sounds great Greg! Keep it going....

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!