Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: first steps with cajun box

cb

And who were the accordion players "pre-Amadee"? Surely he had to learn from someone, but who?

These articles have been mentioned on here already, I think, and they don't solve the mystery of the first accordionists in Louisiana, but they're still interesting:

http://www.louisianafolklife.org/LT/Articles_Essays/LFF_FiddlingInLouisiana.html

http://www.louisianafolklife.org/LT/Articles_Essays/intro_and_use_of_accordions.html

Bien Merci, Monsieur Christian!

CharlieB

@ Tim, I know what you mean, the time is sadly not extensible, and music needs lots of time!

I hope you'll get more free time soon,

Good luck

@ Nout, Thanks for the advise, I have noticed it and I'll work on it for sure!

We created a band with the guitar player 3 months ago (3 months after have bought my box from you ), and I already found a fiddler (from the guitarist relation), he is really good and I would like to show him soon in order to have feedbacks about his playing. From our band (3 people) he is the only to have a large musical knowledge (he is playing violin for 15 years) and I must admit he contributes a lot in our progress!

Finally I WOULD LOVE to play fiddle, I love this instrument and have hesitated a long time in the choice between a box and a fiddle (I listened cajun music for 2 years before decided to practice music)...maybe one day I hope!

About Saulieu, I saw and listen to you many time with the All-Stars in front of "Le café Parisien". I was too ashamed to play with you because the level was very high and I didn't want to disturb you while playing...

So we played with beginners like us in the camping near a little pond, it was cool (this was the first time I met other accordionist) but next years I'll come playing and having a beer with you...so I have to work!

Greg

5-6 months! Great God A-mighty, son - you must be single and unemployed or independently wealthy!

That's amazing progress. If you keep this up, we're going to have to induct you into the Cameron Dupuy Hall of Fame!

@ Jamey Hall

Thank you for the kind words! it's very nice but it's too much honor!

But not unemployed or very rich
3 years ago, My boss asked me if I was interested to work half a time for the same price than a full time, with working only saturday and sunday (12 hours X 2), of course, I said YES!

No TV (I don't have because waste of time), girl and buddies at work, me at home, one solution to make profits from my free time....

So I was abled to spend many time on my box that 6 past months.

But now the dream is end and I now returning (next monday) to a "normal" life, at work, all day long, from monday to friday...

And no I'm not single, but I am lucky my girl agreed with me staying playing music at home, and she is a nurse, so she isn't often at home (some people could say that I am lucky for that too )

So to resume: I was a very lucky guy that all!

Greg

PS: thank you again Peer and Nout, from your advises I made some tests which make me realized how I was wrong about some thing and how it can sound better! [

Sounds great Greg! Keep it going....

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!