Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rolling Stones Covers

Here's one from left field..

Our band's just been asked to play a 3 - 4 song mini-set at a fund raiser charity gig in December...theme for the event is Rolling Stones ....
..organiser of the event who knows our band wants us to put a Louisiana ' bent ' on the songs...anyone know who does a Zydeco /Swamp Pop version of Stone's material?....
I know Johnny Chauvin and the Mojo Band do " Beast of Burden "...but who else?

Re: Rolling Stones Covers

Here's my little contribution!
Website # 3.

Hey Peer..that's great...man, you didn't take long to get back with that post.
I've sent your Youtube link onto the guys in the band and I think , thanks to you, we may be onto something there.

I also located " Walkin' the Dog " audio clips by Buckwheat Zydeco..it ROCKS !! Amazon and iTunes have it listed.

BIG thanx, Peer.
Wonder what the other Braves will come up with?

Hey, Peer, good job on that one...
Chuck from Kentucky

Peer very nice version of cajun rock. I miss your youtube cajun posts.

"It's All Over Now" and "Lil' Queenie" sound like good candidates to me . . .

Thanks folks, for the kind words. Hope it works a bit as an inspiration. It was in the archive, so it wasn't much trouble to post this one.
Randy, I haven't been playing much CA lately.. mainly banjo and fiddle.. but I'll be back!

Peer I remember your post about moving away from cajun for awhile thats why I cant wait till your back. You are one of the few on here that I like to listen to.

In their early days the Stones had hits with two songs that were also hits for Irma Thomas:"Ruler of my heart" and "Time is on my side." Of course, that Louisiana connection is the opposite of the sort you asked for. I also suspect that the songs are so old that neither their connection to the Stones nor to Louisiana would be obvious. You think?

Re: Why copy?

You've got your own great band. Why do you need to copy someone else's versions of Stones material.

Just play your own versions and people will love it!

DP

Yeah..you bet we'll put our own flavour into the songs...
In trying to shorten the preparation process and attempting to focus on 3 or 4 songs that others with accordions in the line-up have had success with, it sure helps me to have all the contributions I've already had on the Discussion Board .

Basically, you guys have done most of my initial homework for me.....and I thank you for that.

We have our first rehearsal tomorrow...and as lead singer I also have to consider that I'm not Jagger....some songs will end up no-goes and there will need to be plenty of re-keying I suspect...LOL.

Initial list looks like being ( but still thinking about your other Braves suggestions ):( we'll know by about 3.00pm tomorrow at rehearsal just what's gonna work ! )

Honky Tonk Woman
Waiting on a Friend
Mother's Little Helper
Under My Thumb
Miss You
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Satisfaction

Here's some links just for fun..Accordions in the mix on Stone's cover songs :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5-_Be0dazs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRmovhdkDHs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-nSfWEAhsY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAWcPMyek38&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f3iiRcNG8o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Link 1 has a great version of Beast of Burden. I like your selections. I always liked Under my thumb and it sounds great on the single row. Not very PC 'though. Try to get some video of the gig and put it up for us.

buckwheat zydeco had a pretty good cover of 'beast of burden'

buckwheat zydeco had a pretty good cover of 'beast of burden' i think..?

wle

I think there's nothing wrong in picking up some ideas from someone else.
Copying is a different matter, but even that is very useful during a learning process. That's why I personally like to copy sometimes. As long as you don't pretend you're the inventor. Keith Richard has been copying Chuck Berry all his life, while giving him the credits. And you can't say that he is not creative as an artist.
Talking about someone else's ideas, does Rolling Stones songs also include covers like Route 66 ? That could be a nice one on CA.

Hey..great choice , Peer.

We're on a short list of songs now..let ya know later. A big issue for us to consider is how I/we can handle the vocals of any song, and the fact that many of those Stones songs are obviously heavily produced in million dollar studios...that's what a bunch of multi-millionaires money buys I guess.

It's just that when you try to 'cover' them it sounds thin..even when we adapt them to that Zydecajun sound.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!