Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Minimalism" in Cajun Bands?

"Modern groups who only employ a couple (or 3) instruments in their recordings":

You can add these two to the great list of those already mentioned:

http://www.accordeonsericmartin.com/
(Click on Eric Martin & Cajun Ramblers)

The Cajun Company:
http://www.cajuncompany.net/ccsite/home.html

They are great European musicians who meet your requirements. You can buy any of their CD's with complete confidence.

And this one (not really modern, rather... timeless ):

http://www.amazon.fr/Acordeon-Cajun%60bal-Belisaire%60-Allie-J-Young/dp/B00004UVK6
Allie Young (accordéon et chant) and Bessyl Duhon (guitar).

Don,

Minimalist approach is my favorite. Thats how they did it in the old days. I have tons of minimalist albums, e mail me for a more detailed list. Here is a few of my favorites

1.) Jesse Legé Green Album. (with joel on fid and linzay young on guitar) if you don't have this album you should purchase it immediately. Jesse also has a southern ramblers album with Bobby michot and Joel. 3 instruments and vocals bangin it out old school. I love these two albums. Here is the link to a website run by joel and jesse where you can get both these albums, and sign up for skype lessons.

http://www.jesseandjoel.com/JesseandJoel/Music.html

2.) Dennis McGee the complete early recordings. Doesn get any better than this.

3.) anything off of cajun mp3 (neal's site).

4.) Both Ray Abshire albums are phenomenal.

5.) Iry LeJeune !!!! its just accordion with a fiddle and guitar, with no fiddle rides.

6.) Savoy Smith Cajun band Now and Then. Personally this is my favorite of the Savoy-insert fiddle player here band cds.

7.) Wade Frugé old time cajun music. Marc on Accordion Wade on fid, Ann on guitar.

8.) Cheese Read Cajun House Party. Marc on Accordion

9.) Balfa Brothers J'ai Vu le Loup, Le Renard, et la belette. or any of their albums really. There are some really good tracks of them off of Les Haricots sont Pas Salé soundtrack cd. You should get that whole cd in fact. There is an awesome version of Bee Fontenot playing a melody similar to flammes d'enfer as a different song called pain mais. I wish I could sing like that is all I'm gonna say. P.S. watch the documentary as well

10.) Cedric Watson, Ed Poullard, and James Adams Les Amis Créole. This album is a must have.

Anything the other guys said are really good as well. I have all the albums they mentioned above. If you don't have Octa Clark and Hector Duhon Old Time Cajun Music from Arhoolie. Shame on you.

e-mail me or call if you can't find these albums.

(225) 810-2977

Thanks everyone for your opinions, the suggestions for artists and recordings I should check into. Some recordings mentioned, I already have; those that I do not I will check into getting them.

Good recommendations, Christian. And, my favorite Cajun music will always be, in living rooms, or porches, or around the fire, with the sound of beer cans opening, laughing, and kids playing.

Wow, we've really beat this one to death.

"Minimalism" in Cajun Bands?

Not yet, Bryan, the best is yet to come:
The PINNACLE of minimalism in Cajun Music... HERE COMES!

1. grab your accordion
2. set yourself down on your front- or backporch
3. make sure there's nobody around
4. start playing.
5. enjoy.

That's a very good list.
Les Freres Michot ?

Don
My preference when listening to Cajun music are those groups that use a minimal number of instruments. Accordion and guitar; a fiddle and maybe triangle. Nothing else. No drums, bass guitar, steel guitar, etc.. Stating that, I guess I like the "back porch" sound.

You do realize that drums are acoustic as well? They are mic'd just like accordions, fiddles, and guitars are at live gigs such as bars and dance halls.

Byron
Don
My preference when listening to Cajun music are those groups that use a minimal number of instruments. Accordion and guitar; a fiddle and maybe triangle. Nothing else. No drums, bass guitar, steel guitar, etc.. Stating that, I guess I like the "back porch" sound.

You do realize that drums are acoustic as well? They are mic'd just like accordions, fiddles, and guitars are at live gigs such as bars and dance halls.

I realize that the above instruments may be mic'd when some bands are onstage. You missed my point.

Don
I realize that the above instruments may be mic'd when some bands are onstage. You missed my point.

Maybe so. If you are referring to the old Amedee Ardoin type sound where it was just an accordion, fiddle and ti-fer in a room with nothing but the sound of the instruments themselves, I understand and totally agree. The sound was "raw" back then.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!