Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ye Yaille Chere

Ye Yaille Chere came out in 1990. Octa Clark had recorded well before then. He had two songs on J'etais au bal, Music from French Louisiana, which came out in 1974. I posted a link yesterday to a website by Ron Stanford, the producer.

http://www.hechicero.com/louisiana/octaclark.html

This website includes a mention of Octa Clark's live radio show. I also heard about his radio show from the lp Ensemble Encore for Rounder.

He and Hector Duhon were playing at Festivals Acadiens (Tribute to Cajun Music) in the late 70s. I know because I saw them. Beausoleil used to feature them too at some concerts because their accordion player, Bessyl Duhon, is Hector's son. The Arhoolie lp came out in 1981, I believe. That may be how some people first heard about him. This is all before Ye Yaille Chere was published.

I think he's not in Ye Yaille Chere because it is mainly a book of lyrics. Octa Clark's greatest originals were instrumentals. That's my guess on why he is not included.

Re: Ye Yaille Chere

And he's not nearly the only well known player not included.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!