Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cassette to MP3

I'm looking at devices to convert cassette tapes to MP3/CD's. Anyone have experience with this, and suggestions?
Thanks, Chuck.

Re: Cassette to MP3

If you have software on your computer that will allow line-in recording, you only need a stereo cord that goes from the ear phone jack on a cassette player to the mic jack on the computer. May be other ways, but that's the way I've done it.

Yes I do that also with my old cassettes and vinyls. It's easy.....but long song by song !!

Marc.

Hey, Chuck...I purchased (at Best Buy) a device that records from stereo cassettes, and lp's to your computer. It is made by xitel (around $80)....It has everything you need, but like Marc said, it takes a little while to do, but worth it if you have a lot of cassettes and records. Also, Floyd's records in Ville Platte had what looked like an old fashion radio/record player that actually played LP's, cassettes, and other input sources that you could then burn to a CD...all in one unit...it cost around $200.

hope this helps
Charlie

I do it the same way like Bryan and Marc.
It's like the old days and if a song takes 4 minutes, you also need that time to get it in your computer.

USB turntable],

if you have an LP to mp3 'converter' [aka a USB turntable], most of them have line input jacks for other devices

advantage maybe that their software works better to cut it into tracks, directories, burn to cd, etc

or not

wle

Re: USB turntable],

My problem is the quality of the USB turntables.
I prefer my 35 year old Thorens TD160 with an Ortofon MD. That's also better for my LP's.
Larry has a point concerning the software, because that's maybe better.
I use Adobe Audition for the time-eating jobs.

Ha Ha, Ron. I have also an old Thorens TD 115 S. It turn always for 30 years.

Hey Christian, où en est-tu avec ton beau gramophone ?

Marc

Il fait de la figuration. Sinon, toujours satisfait de ma vieille et fidèle Rega Planar.

I use a Mac with iTunes and Jukebox. I had a simple portable cassette recorder/player and plugged it into the computer with Jukebox on. I then recorded the whole thing as a Jukebox track and then edited it. When finished, I exported it to iTunes as an MP3. Sounds like a lot but it is really very simple. It is time consuming like the others said. Good luck.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!