Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The New Choupique Accordion

Speaking of innovation..

I'm eagerly waiting for the day when someone produces a Cajun 'box' that isn't a box shape..someone needs to to put some sexy curves and softness in the shape. I have a radical design graphic concept that I could email someone...it's a radically reshaped version of a bon Temps Bb that I have.
Perhaps also including an ergonomic button pattern on a re-shaped right side, better suited to the shape of the hand and fingers in the playing position...ie. taking the Chopique innovation one step further.

Thinkin' outside the square..err..box I think that's called.

Me thinks it's very well possible to squeeze a Cajun tune out of this one, especially in a small space:

- Nout

Chuck, link 3 for Choupique's website. He has some interesting options.

Blasphemy! Just get one of those Italian models with the chrome & glitter finish, etc.

I really think the box concept is really what people want, just because that's the way it's always been and there appears to be some some mystique, nastalgia or whatever associated with it. Just like a piano accordion because that's the way it's always been for the last 100 years. If they wanted a piano they'd buy a piano. Like a guitar, fiddle etc if you want to play a squeezebox buy a squeezebox..
But I do think that it is a good idea, if possible, to try and incorporate some individualized changes or options that make it easier for the musician to play hold, etc. Just like the placement of thumb straps for instance.Some like them a little higher up etc.
Chuck from Kentucky

I forgot to mention that I like the fact that you can go back and change the fingerboard and buttons and go back to a normal size button and fingerboard spacing. This concept works well if ,lets say, you are a child or younger person just starting and later on you could change the fingerboard if necessary.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!