Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 3 Tabs for Students

Ned for most on here tabs are a very bad word. For me tabs are how I play. I had to laugh at your marrige remark I too am in that boat. I play when the wife is out, or if we are having a dispute I then pull out the box just to get on her nerves. I find nothing wrong with learning to play with tabs. I am going to check out your page and give them a try.

Yeah, real men don't do tabs, but I had 60 downloads on the first one I put up. 13 of those were from foreign countries. Over half were from Acadiana.

There are a bunch of closet tabsters out there, Randy!

As a beginner, I find that I learn more quickly if I dissect the song and put it back together. The "ca ca fait du mal" part of Bosco bedeviled me until I got it on paper. But, Cajun music is free form, anyway - do whatcha wanna.

Besides, if I was trying to be a REAL Cajun, I'd be Nedreaux.

Remember that Bosco Stomp is one of the hardest pieces to learn!! It gave me a hard time, and I'm still not satisfied with the way I do it.
It's full of syncopations (notes that fall between the beats) and other rythmic peculiarities!
If you are a beginner, I would advise you to pick a simpler piece of the Cajun puzzle.
Like Johnny can't Dance for a twostep (great example by Dirk Powell) and Lovebridge waltz (great online lesson by Chris Miller) for a waltz.

Nothing wrong with the type of tabs you showed, because the music notation that goes with it indicates the timing. But I see mainly single notes. To make it sound "Cajun", you'll need to play octaves and blends (double notes) as well. And to play in time of course!

Nedreaux,

will YOU be at Wurstfest in New Braunfels?

I can't exactly remember how long it's been going on, 49 or 50 years or so, but I can't remember having missed one yet for a long, long time. There are a few times I can't remember how I got home, but we won't go there.

You Gotta be there on Thursday night to listen to Die Schaulberger. Those Yankee boys can play some serious music. Plus, it's College night, which means lots of wild & crazy women, all of whom are young enough to be my Gran-daughter. The Frau don't mind if I just look. She knows I'm harmless.

Best Festival in Texas. It's not Munchen, but it's what we got....

Thanks for the work on the tabs, etc.

JB

We've never been to Wurst Fest, and can't make it this year. We're barely unpacked from Festival Acadien.

Went to NB/Gruene once and fell in love with the place. Stayed at the Prince Solms, ate at Myron's, got drunk in the Uptown Piano Bar, and caught Gruene Market Days. It was a blast.

Drink a schwarzbier for me, and I'll sit here in T-Town grinding on this button box.

I'll drink more than one, Alte Kamarad.

JB

Hey Ned --

I would have loved to see what you had.... but it doesn't seem to exist on your page any longer...

Am I missing something?

Sorry, Paul, that was 3 years ago, and everything's been shuffled a few times since then. You might look into Mr. Guy's Ten Step Two Step series on eBay. He has transcribed 100 old songs in musical notation with a facility for making your own tabs.

I wouldn't need tablature (I can simply read the music) -- but those books are not on ebay any longer... drag

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!