Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: report from accordion builder presentation-a surprise

I'm not knocking Randy's newest invention at all. I actually thought it sounded pretty **** awesome at the fest when Wayne used it. I just immediately noticed the volume difference between keys when he switched from D to C. I'm not sure if that was due more to mic placement, EQ'ing, or just the volume two banks of C reeds puts out compared to that of D.

John

Sure it wasn't just a renamed Roland all digital then?

Your comment didn't come across as knocking it, John. Randy also said it wasn't done yet. I'm very curious to know how it would sound mic'ed. He played in into the mic Tuesday, then he played a 2 key into the mic, not much difference. That amazes me, that he gets a decent sound at all with 2 dry rows of reeds.

do you know which two rows is he using? high and low? Mid and low?

I don't, Mark. Wanted to ask, but never did.

Hello, Board members...

I was fortunate enough to attend the "melodeon"/accordion builder's presentation last Tuesday at Vermillionville.

I spent a little time talking to Randy Falcon, Jude Moreau, Rusty Sanner, and Bryan Lafleur...would have been nice to have more time, but...

Each builder shared some personal history of how they came to be builders.... amazing how similar their stories actually were.

Then..we heard some history of the Melodeon and the mystery of how it really ended up here in Louisiana

The actual steps of building the instrument was described with all the builders sharing some aspects of the process and the trials and tribulations of the process. I used to think I wanted to try to build one, one day, but if you think learning to play one takes time and effort...well the building is more tedious! I may have to rethink the building part..

To me, one of the best part of the whole evening was hearing each builder...play his own accordion.

Another best part of the evening was hearing Randy Falcon play his (almost 100 year old) Monarch Bb accordion...listening to a piece of history live and in person was great.

Another best part was getting up close and personal with the different boxes and being allow to do a little noodling around with them....(sort of like going to the Miss America pageant and getting to dance with each contestant) (well probably not as exciting, but you get my drift!)

(I mean the Miss America pageant thing not being as exciting as squeezing on a Heritage or a Lanse Grise accordion!)

All in all...i had a great time...the whole thing could only have been better if some of my CADG buddies could have been there in the audience taking it all in with me.

CharlieB

Wish I could have been there CB, but I was too busy polishing my Poullard Special. Well...that and the 2133 miles distance.

Hey, there Mark! Well...let's hear that puppy (Poullard that is)...

I will ask Randy about those sets of reeds if you have'nt already..

Oh, and what is a little distance like that to a world traveler like you.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!