Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cajun and Creole Folklore Archives

After years of wanting to, I finally went to the Cajun and Creole Folklore Archives at ULL. As I expected, it is a treasure trove of video, got several videos of my dad playing at the Liberty with Ed Deshotels, quite a bit of my great grandfather, along with a pile of other stuff. If anyone other than me has been interested in the audio files of Barry Ancelet's book "Cajun and Creole Folktales", it's there. Watching an old video now of Ed Poullard playing with Canray Fontenot.

Go visit Chris Segura at the archives and bring your check book. It's all digitized and you can search individuals or topics.

Check link #3

Re: Cajun and Creole Folklore Archives

I'd like to go see that some day. There's a similar initiative that has been going on here in Nova Scotia. We had an old priest, Père Anselme Chiasson who died about 10 years ago at about 91 years old. For a period of about 40 years, during the 50s, 60s & 70s, he went into Acadian villages and recorded the old folks telling stories and singing their traditional songs. There is a project that was going on in Chéticamp, (an Acadian village in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia) to put all this material together and catalog it.

Try to listen to the interview with Austin Pitre around 1965 (conducted by Ralph Rinzler) where he explains some different dances, including the difference between a one step and a two step. I could have spent a month going through their stuff!

I am there next weekend. I didnt realize how awesome it is thanks Bryan!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!