Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
For those who asked--I broke down the Poullard Special--and philosophy...

There are three mini lessons...the first is about part A (Link One) the second is about part B (Link Two) and the (Third Link) is an overview of rhythmic and other interesting elements. There are many great versions of the tune already posted...I really wasn't doing it all right until I saw Ed's video. I think the stuff in these three "lessons" is closer to the original than my first post of the tune.

These lessons are not offered as a "correction" to other versions. Some folks just were asking if I would...so here it is. I learned something from everyone's version, but the version I broke down was Ed's performance on YouTube.

Different versions--all valid. But some playing that I hear from folks (general statement, not about Poullard specifically) is so much "their own version" that I sometimes don't recognize it when they play for me. To me, there has got to be something unique about each "tune" and it should be distinct and recognizable to the majority of true "fans" of the genre. (There will always be those who say it ALL sounds the same!) To me, the basic melody, repetitive syncopated patterns, and the "rocking," loping feel are essential to this tune or it can sound like 50% of other tunes.

My philosophy is to try to get as close to the original as I can because even try as I might, I am STILL going to sound a bit different than the original. I learn a lot from this technique of trying to "get it right." I learn things (licks, fills, fingerings) that I am not already doing and therefore I grow deeper roots as player. By copying, I learn different ways of "pronouncing some of the same musical feelings I can already create." I can always do more of my own thing later--but to me, it is important to at least try to "get it right." To the "old folks" who were around when I was growing up and trying to learn to play, they certainly could tell the difference...sometimes even up to just ONE "wrong" note. I think they probably were more careful back then because there was not the recording technology that we have now. If they were not picky about "learning it right," there was a danger that the tunes it would be lost.

I like to be able to say "I play my own versions because it is how I feel at the time" not because I never learned from the original. Just my own two cents...and that's probably about what it's worth too!

Re: For those who asked--I broke down the Poullard Special--and philosophy...

Wow,that was great Chris.Really helps with the feel of the tune.Makes me want to repost after I work on your lesson.Thanks for breaking it down so much

Bien merci, Chris...

CharlieB

Great post, Chris.

Chris Miller
... To the "old folks" who were around when I was growing up and trying to learn to play, they certainly could tell the difference... sometimes even up to just ONE "wrong" note. I think they probably were more careful back then because there was not the recording technology that we have now. If they were not picky about "learning it right," there was a danger that the tunes it would be lost ...
A sure i thing, as i experienced in Co Sligo Ireland when i was trying to learn Irish fiddle in the 70-ies .... i remember noting down one tune from a local farmer & fiddler, with just a transistor radio as luxury item in his living room. Met another one 10km further north later who told me that that this version was not right and that for only some notes in the B part. It's no joke, he was very serious that i got it "right". It's great that someone takes the time to analyze different styles to such an extent as you do, SALUT; i am too lazy or sloppy for that - Nout

OK ! I have high expectations! I learned so much from your Lovebridge Waltz lesson too. So I'm looking forward.
But before I take a look at this lesson, I just want to say that I am very glad you gave your opinion about copying. I agree very much with that! A lot of people look down on copying, but I think it's the only way to learn the "language" of a music style without a terrible foreign accent.
As I still consider myself as a student in Cajun music field, I am still copying and stealing like mad. I stole two of your licks in my second version too! (which for the rest, was far from being a copy)
Thanks already!
Signed Copycatmelodeon.

Chris,

Many thanks for your helpful insight. There is so much more to this tune than meets the beginner's eye and ear, and you have brought it all to light!

Nedro

Great lesson! There's always something new to be found.
Thanks a lot.
You make some remarks about the rhythm (at the end)- for me the most interesting part of the whole lesson - but I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.
Is it that you first learn to play the piece without any swing, and the gradually put in some (what you call loping or something)?

Yes. Pretty much that is what i mean. Lots of folks swing too much when they do the rocking thing. It's tricky to get it just right. It was just a suggestion if you're having trouble finding the right feel. it might help. It might not.

Thanks Chris! I'm sure it might help.
Just that tiny hardly audible bit of swing.
Too much, and the momentum is gone. Very tricky indeed!
It's a very subtle thing. I wonder if anybody can hear the difference.

Well, I don't think it's so tiny actually. I think Ed's version has a pretty fair amount of swing, definitely more than I used in first version. If swinging like triplets is a 3, and a very subtle swing like my first version is a 1, I consider Ed's to be around a 2. Noticeable? I definitely think so. Try playing along to those different versions.

Yes, I could hear that Ed put in more swing than you. Your version has just that tiny bit, which I actually like best.
So I'll take your advice, and play along with your version!

Outstanding lesson! There are so many things to garner here, spoken and unspoken. The spoken you can see for yourself. But the unspoken . . .

For me and my "stage" of development, I'm especially struck by Chris' technique. Look at how relaxed his fingers are, and how they are curled around the button board, with the tips always in close contact to the buttons. It means he never has far to go, and wastes no motion or effort in getting there; really beautiful to my eye.

Effortless + smooth = MAGIC!

One of many reasons I say Chris is the best teacher out there; or at least, the best I've seen.

Kudos!

This made me think of you, Chris: http://www.americanprogress.org/cartoons/2011/09/092611.html

Thanks !

Going to work on this tonight!

Another "thank you" from this beginner. I'm putting away the Steve Riley dvd and just gonna follow your lessons

Absolutely the best lesson I've ever been lucky enough to find. Thanks Chris, I really appreciate your hard work -- and you are an absolute killer on the accordion.

Tq

Thanks Chris.
It's allways hard to find the right buttons if a song is played on normal speed.

Chris,

Any chance of you putting that on vimeo so the video can be downloaded? It's an awsome thing you've done, but my skill is lagging. I need to be able to loop some spots to figure out what you are doing.

John in Oregon

John, you can use YouTube downloader as well. It's free, and it works great. Once d/ld, you can converse the video to .wmv.
Open it with windows media player (new version), right click in the screen, click options, and choose playing speed. you can slow it down to 50%.

Ahh, thanks Peer. It took a bit of dinking with WMP to figure it out - it's not all that good for this sort of thing, but I got it slowed down.

Now, hopefully I'll make some progress.

John in Oregon

Excellent!!!

Super, merci mon ami!
I will continue to brush up my version.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!