Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Where do you draw the line?

IMHO...You don't draw the line...to do so is stagnation..and an early call to Heaven's waiting room. ! Respect the past, but for goodness sake..just extract your finger and get on with the future.
( I still shake my head at how many baby boomers and tree huggin' clapped out old folkies still live for the past and near forgotten memories..even if those memories are based on imaginary events rather than actual events . It's almost as if they like wallowing in it !). It's human nature I guess..and the ageing process...but it frustrates the #### outa me !
..and I'm a boomer.

...I did a gig last night with 8 other bands playing a Charity benefit. The innovation and sheer electricity of the music was amazing...the energy and talent these mostly younger ( 20 - 40 yo ) musos displayed was inspirational ( all of whom were really decent people who I'm sure respect the past but aren't stupid enough to bog themselves down in it.).
Leave the 'drawing the line' stuff to the volunteer entertainers in the Aged Care Nursing Homes and Retirement facilities..they do a great job but it's where they should be.
Hmmm..think I'll stop now..I can feel my blood pressure rising.

The builders in Quebec have been making inovations like this for years now. Check them out and see!

Pretty simple for me, build what someone asks for. Lines don't work in anything Cajun anymore than label do.

Bryan, Thats exactlly what they did in Quebec and they are building and selling. Keep up the good work. My Post Katrina # 2 will be in Quebec style.

I agree with others that there is no line.

I'll go farther and question the validity of the idea of "tradition". If tradition was the most important thing, we would not even have the Cajun accordion at all. That was a radical innovation that was added at the beginning of the 20th century. It pretty well wiped out what had been "traditional" up until that time; it completely changed the musical landscape. I don't think there was a lot of hand-wringing going on about "Oh no! We're losing our tradition!" Nope, they embraced the accordion and made it their own.

To the extent that there even exists anything that could be called "tradition", where did that designation come from? It certainly did not come from the innovators themselves. They didn't sit down and say to themselves, "Yeah, I'm gonna take this accordion and create Traditional Cajun Music!". Nope, the musicians were probably motivated by the same thing that motivate musicians generally: Money, Pretty Girls, Beer, etc. The designation of "traditional" this or that comes after the fact, from ethno-musicologists and so on - but not from the people actually involved in creating the music in the first place.

Right on, David..well said .

..and perhaps, just perhaps, some traditionalists are making good money out of traditionalism and don't want to, and perhaps don't know how to , innovate. Lack of innovation and the drawing of a line may , at the end of the day, be motivated by an accountant or manager's advice...risk management, I think they call it.

"I don't think there was a lot of hand-wringing going on about "Oh no! We're losing our tradition!" Nope, they embraced the accordion and made it their own."

Actually, the old time fiddlers hated the accordion, limited their "traditional" songs (I always apply labels with a chuckle). The dancers wanted to keep it. Now look where we're at today.

Of course, you are correct about the fiddle players not liking it (Dennis McGee talked about this some, as I recall). But who cares about them? (just kidding)

I left that bit out to simplify the discussion a little. The point remains valid.

It's hard to have traditions in melting gumbo pots.

What has become apparent from this discussion is that "tradition" is dynamic - window on the timeline, lagging just a shade behind the present.

The "gumbo" observation is the element that adds the spice.

Maybe the line is more in the water than the sand.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!