Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: O.T. Somewhat... Promised Land

Wayne did most of his cuts with a blade on a mirror

Re: O.T. Somewhat... Promised Land

I know Also Kevin Naquin, Geno Delafose, Two Time Polka (Irish cajun band), Cajun Roosters (English/German cajun band). And sometime Steve Riley (fabulous!!) in concert.

Marc.

("Tidewater four, ten-oh-nine")

and zydecot.com, atlanta band
mine actually
i play it in Bflat on a Bflat box

no johnny allan did not write it for chuck berry!

wle

==
"Promised Land" is a song lyric written by Chuck Berry to the melody of "Wabash Cannonball", an American folk song. The song was first recorded in this version by Chuck Berry in 1964 for his album St. Louis to Liverpool. Released in 1965, it was Berry's first single issued following his prison term for a Mann Act conviction.

In the lyrics, the singer (who refers to himself as "the poor boy") tells of his journey from Norfolk, Virginia to the "Promised Land", California, mentioning various cities along the way. It has subsequently been covered by numerous other artists.

Berry wrote the song while still in prison and borrowed an atlas from the prison library to plot the itinerary. The poor boy boarded a Greyhound bus that stopped in Charlotte, NC but "bypassed Rock Hill", which may have been a sly reference to Rock Hill, South Carolina where Civil Rights leader John Lewis and others were brutally beaten when their Freedom Rider bus stopped there in 1961. The bus rolls on through Atlanta but breaks down in Birmingham. The poor boy boards a train "across Mississippi clean" to New Orleans. He makes it to Houston, where friends stake him to a silk suit, luggage and plane ticket to Los Angeles. Once arrived, he phones home ("Tidewater four, ten-oh-nine") to let the folks back in Norfolk know he's made it to the "promised land".
==

Leroy Thomas too!

Leroy recorded it for his most recent CD. Nice version.

missing verse on the record

Geno does it on his live shows. Chuck Berry was doing time for a Mann Act violation and wrote it while doing his time. When Johnny Allen covered it he left out a verse, maybe to keep it short enough on a 45 so it would get airplay? Here is the missing verse.

Had motor trouble, turned into a struggle, half way cross Alabam"
Then that 'Hound broke down, and left us all stranded in Downtown Birmingham.

Geno does it in C on the push. I do it in A on the pull. Great tune.

Re: missing verse on the record

i think even chuck b leaves out some of the original 9 verses, sometimes

it;s long enough to be a dylan song!

geno also leaves another one out too

as if it;s too long

then he repeats the whole thing again, making it too long still!

wle

Noboby's mentioned Elvis' version, cept'n me. It's been my favorite, but I haven't heard the others. Anyone else like it?

yeah that was what i heard first, back in the day

very driving, powerful

wle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!