Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Lead Belly and Amedee Ardoin

Lead Belly (his spelling) was released from Angola Prison in 1934 and went to work for John and Alan Lomax as a driver. He accompanied the Lomaxes on recording field trips to Louisiana from 1934-1937, the years the Lomaxes collected Cajun and Creole music for the Library of Congress. It would not surprise me if Lead Belly heard from the locals about Amedee Ardoin through these trips, although Ardoin did not record for the Library of Congress.

Wish we could get a WABAC machine and do some time travel!

Re: Leadbelly (Accordion)

Yeah!! John Hardy! I tried it too, on my C (the only key I have).
Obviously, Leadbelly had a box in G (looked like a Hohner to me). I have to sing it half an octave higher than the man. But it's certainly doable, if it's not in the morning (here it's 10.00 AM now)
Very simple melody line. Nice thread!
If not both on accordions, Amedé with Ledbetter on 12 string - that would have been something !!

Re: Leadbelly (Accordion)

Better than lead in the belly sack on the rack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAIoQLZ1crE&feature=related

not someone you would like to take lessons from

Prison years
Louisiana State Penitentiary, where Lead Belly served timeLedbetter's volatile temper sometimes led him into trouble with the law. In 1915 he was convicted "of carrying a pistol" and sentenced to do time on the Harrison County chain gang, from which he escaped, finding work in nearby Bowie County under the assumed name of Walter Boyd. In January 1918 he was imprisoned a second time, this time after killing one of his relatives, Will Stafford, in a fight over a woman. In 1918 he was incarcerated in Sugar Land west of Houston, Texas, where he probably learned the song "Midnight Special". [page needed] He served time in the Imperial Farm (now Central Unit) in Sugar Land.[10] In 1925 he was pardoned and released, having served seven years, or virtually all of the minimum of his seven-to-35-year sentence, after writing a song appealing to Governor Pat Morris Neff for his freedom. Ledbetter had swayed Neff by appealing to his strong religious beliefs. That, in combination with good behavior (including entertaining by playing for the guards and fellow prisoners), was Ledbetter's ticket out of prison. It was quite a testament to his persuasive powers, as Neff had run for governor on a pledge not to issue pardons (pardon by the governor was at that time the only recourse for prisoners, since in most Southern prisons there was no provision for parole). According to Charles K. Wolfe and Kip Lornell's book, The Life and Legend of Leadbelly (1999), Neff had regularly brought guests to the prison on Sunday picnics to hear Ledbetter perform.

In 1930, Ledbetter was back in prison, after a summary trial, this time in Louisiana, for attempted homicide — he had knifed a white man in a fight. It was there, three years later (1933), that he was "discovered" by folklorists John Lomax and his then 18-year-old son Alan Lomax[11] during a visit to the Angola Prison Farm. Deeply impressed by his vibrant tenor voice and huge repertoire, they recorded him on portable aluminum disc recording equipment for the Library of Congress. They returned to record with new and better equipment in July of the following year (1934), all in all recording hundreds of his songs. On August 1, Lead Belly was released (again having served almost all of his minimum sentence), this time after the Lomaxes had taken a petition to Louisiana Governor Oscar K. Allen at Ledbetter's urgent request. The petition was on the other side of a recording of his signature song, "Goodnight Irene". A prison official later wrote to John Lomax denying that Ledbetter's singing had anything to do with his release from Angola, and state prison records confirm that he was eligible for early release due to good behavior. For a time, however, both Ledbetter and the Lomaxes believed that the record they had taken to the governor had hastened his release from Angola.

John Hardy

OK. I tried to sing and play it. High F despite morning voice. Hohner 114 in C. Just three verses.
Website #2.

Re: John Hardy

Peer, you made my morning! I used to try and play that years ago, but just kinda stopped trying, because at the time I'd only been playing for 5 months.

Oh man, it's back to John Hardy for me :) Thank you for posting this

Re: John Hardy

heheh! thanks my friend. knowing you, you'll be able to play this one nowadays within a few minutes.
The basses go faster, but fewer notes. Simple comme bonjour!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!