Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OT: Strad vs modern violin

Fairly off topic, but some interest to fiddle players and other music lovers...

Can you tell the difference between modern violin and an original Strad? Turns out, the pros can't either.

WF

Re: OT: Strad vs modern violin

IMHO the modern violin has more overtones (more "high") and more power than the revered Stradivarius.
So at first I picked the wrong one to be the Strad.
That proves that either I am deaf (which is partly true) or that I am not an expert (which is true), or that there's a lot of bull going around about exquise violins (which I think is true). A lot of suggestion and snobism, like with expensive wine.
I don't know what "good sound" is, anyway. It's also a matter of taste. I'd rather hear good music on a bad instrument than bad music on a good instrument!!

I think there is a difference in instruments.It doesn't have to be a Strad,but there are violins that are magical in the right hands.I have heard them and played some.I think this is true of accordions and guitars also.not all strads are the same,the test would have to be done with a known strad.I have been told by players that some strads sound bad,and others are fabulous

Of course there is a huge difference. And even if there wasn't, you could still make them sound different by, for instance, adjusting the soundpost.
But didn't you think that the 1980 sounded better than the Strad in this test?
I just borrowed a book about Stradivari in the library. Very interesting. He has built an awful lot of instruments during his long life: not only violins, but also altos and cellos. He kept on experimenting, so they differ a lot in sound, model and color (the famous Strad varnish).

It seemed pretty obvious to me which instrument was new and which was the Strad.

The modern violin had a much more cut through sound that was seemed to project directly from the instrument and while it was louder, wasn't as nearly as inviting to me.

The Strad had a much more focused sound that sounded warmer and for lack of a better explanation more inviting.

I do agree that there are a lot of Strads out there that have essentially been played out.

John

There is a theory that the Strads have been worked on by the best luthiers,and that any "good" violin given that much attention would sound good
There was a guy in the 1700 hundreds that would hypnotize people with beautiful gypsy tunes and then sell them cheap fiddles.Of course it was the tune that got them,they thought it was the fiddle.I sold a cheap fiddle to a violin dealer they way,It works LOL.It was a piece of crap,so I played a beautiful gypsy tune,and he had to have that violin.I felt bad and told him the truth,but he still demanded the fiddle
I hypnotize people on you tube all the time

The original Strad’s and other Baroque period violins were built different from today’s instruments. The neck construction is the most obvious; it is lower and in general designed to produce as mellower sound.

If you want a complete details just goggle up the baroque instrument websites. You will probably find more than you ever wanted to know.

Many of the original baroque period instruments, including the Strad’s, have been re-necked. Suffice it to say that at that level of instrumentation, old or new made, the nuances are lost on most of us.

The original Strads and other violins of the period had shorter scales.
The neck angle was lower as was the bridge
Most have had grafted necks and the bass bars replaced.

IIRC only one unmodified Strad has been found.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!