Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Eunice 2-step

Thanks for that history, Chris! I like John Oliver's playing very much but do not know much about him.

Maurice Barzas also did a fine version on a Swallow 45 in 1962. It is reissued on Louisiana Cajun Music Special (aka Bon Temps Rouler,) http://www.flattownmusic.com/-Louisiana-Cajun-Music-Special-Bon-Temps-Rouler-various-artists-CD-P61.aspx

Recording Studio

Hey Chris,

Thank you for the detailed data

I'd be they got that recording sound with minimal
microphones as well .. Kind of like Hank Williams
recordings. Maybe one mic in the middle of that room?
Analog tape? Perhaps vacuum tube gear?

--bn

Re: Recording Studio

I really don't know about mics, I would have to ask. My guest from listening, though, is that it was not just one mic in the room. But it was probably minimal by today's standards. And of course it was all analog tape and (probably) tube gear. The story alwasy goes that his stuff didn't always work correctly. But his records definitely have a "Goldband soundprint" from the room, reverb and mixing board, and of course from the way he personally engineered things.The biggest thing about that recording, to me, is that great rhythm-backing fiddle work by Robert Bertrand. It strongly flavors the sound...but all those guys were/are really great musicians--that's really where "the sound" is coming from.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!