Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Good for a laugh

Check out this Ebay item. Whoever listed this needs their knuckles wrapped here's the description:

"THIS IS A NEW CAJUN ACCORDION. IT IS JET BLACK. IT IS THE REAL DEAL. IT IS THE SAME ACCORDION THAT HAS BEEN PLAYED IN CAJUN AND CREOLE BANDS FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. IT DOESN'T HAVE BAMBOO REEDS LIKE THE OTHER ACCORDIONS ON EBAY. IT IT FITTED WITH BIMETALIC STAINLESS/MONEL GERMAN REEDS THAT WILL LAST FOR ETERNITY. THEY WILL NEVER CORRODE OR SPLIT LIKE THE CHEAP BAMBOO REEDS. IT IS AVAILABLE IN C KEY. "

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BLACK-C-key-AUTHENTIC-CAJUN-ACCORDION-/200687538454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb9e8d116

Re: Good for a laugh

Man.. I hope I don't have none of them bamboo reeds in my accordions. I'd just hate it if they split or corroded.

I'm so very inclined to ask how he is sure that they aren't the bamboo reeds that are almost universally prevalent in cajun accordions for the last 300 years.

John in Oregon

Bimetallic reeds, eh?

Hey, that's a great idea!

Just like electric thermostats!

So, as the temperature changes, the bimetallic reeds
will actually start bowing in or out, depending on how
they've been oriented!

By changing the bimetallic ratios, some reeds would
react more than others to heat. Maybe you could
change the accordion tuning on the fly with a can of
freon!

Sound like an innovative deal to me

--bn

Great price!

Re: bimetal reeds

If you want to be really technical.
All the current reed assemblies are bimetal.

Spring steel reed and aluminum plates.

But the rest of the stuff...
It would be funny to flag this ebay listing as fraudulent. :) and see what happens.

Thousands of years!! Mais cher, those old waltzes must be in Cajun Latin!

looks like an ariette spray painted matte black. This guy should sell cars.

i wonder if it has mitered corners

Christian Le Jeune
looks like an ariette spray painted matte black. This guy should sell cars.
It has a square cornered keyboard, maybe nor Ariette nor a Harmony-Weltmeister ??? - Nout

That is hilarious. So these monel reeds NEVER corrode. My bamboo reeds don't corrode either.

Is it an Ariette? Is it a Weltmeister?? No ......... it's a CHENG !! hahaha!

The Cheng
Chinese history books trace back to the very birth of music itself, an event pinpointed in the Book Of Chronicles (Schu-Ching) as occurring during the reign of the legendary "Yellow Emperor", Huang Ti, around the year 3000 B.C. (yes, THOUSANDS OF YEARS ago)
Huang's other accomplishments included the invention of boats, money, and religious sacrifice. He is said to have sent the noted scholar Ling Lun to the western mountain regions of his domain to find a way to reproduce the song of the phoenix bird. Ling returned with the cheng (or sheng), and captured music for mankind, taking the first step toward the genesis of the accordion.
The cheng is in fact the first known instrument to use the free vibrating reed principle, which is the basis of the accordion's sound production. Shaped to resemble the phoenix, the cheng had between 13 and 24 BAMBOO pipes, a small gourd which acted as a resonator box and wind chamber, and a mouthpiece. Other instruments using a free vibrating reed were developed in ancient Egypt and Greece, and were depicted in many beliefs.
http://www.accordions.com/index/his/his_acc_his.shtml

I just don't know how he expects to sell it with them new fangled bi-metal reeds. Everyone knows that if you want the old timey sound that you gotta have the bamboo reeds.

Trick is the right bamboo. Good Louisiana bamboo is used to a damp climate and won't corrode like dry-climate bamboo.

John in Oregon

My bamboo-reeds-accordion was a dinner for a wild Panda.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!