Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Apprenticeship

Hi, I'm looking for a Louisiana accordion builder that would be willing to take me on as an apprentice for learning how to build Cajun accordions. Let me know if you know someone would be willing. Thanks, Ann

Re: Apprenticeship

The only person I've ever heard of doing apprenticeships was Larry Miller, but he's not building anymore.

seems like that would be easy to find

if by 'apprentice' you mean 'low or un-paid help'

wle

Anne,

You contact Jesse Brown?

The only apprentices left in the world are in countries like Germany where they still have the Master, the Journeyman (who really still journeys), and the Apprentice, in effect for a number of trades, and it ain't like the unions here in the States, where the designations mean nothing as far as learning the trade, 'cause if you want to learn, you better go to a school, not sit at the knee of some old guy who knows his S**T.
Kinda doubt if anyone in the accordion building business could afford an apprentice, unless, like Larry said, you got the capital to sustain yourself for quite some time.
If I wanted to learn how to build one, I would ask Bryan if I could move my trailer up to his place, work for him for a year with no pay, and let him yell at me 'til I got it right. Even then I would probably waste too much good wood.
JB

It would be worthwhile to have someone who could just keep me on task. I have what I term "Adult Onset Shop Induced Attention Deficit Disorder", where I aimlessly wander around my shop from project to project and experiment to experiment and at the end of the day seems to have not accomplished anything, but it's always worth celebrating with a beer if for no other reason than I didn't cut any appendage off.

OK, Bryan, I feel MUCH better about that accordion that's in the works!

On THAT project, I walk up to the various stages, scrunch up my face several different ways, scratch my head a little, turn a little grayer, then walk over to the other pile of parts. Having fun.

Quote, one Bryan Lafleur: "What are you going to challenge me with next? I'm always up for a challenge!"

I had a custom saddle made once. Before it was done, the guy told me he took up smoking again. And yes, it's a great saddle.

Challenging? Yep, you did a good job. But gonna get done, just maybe not in record time.

Ann Donald Trump does not live in Louisiana, maybe you could apprentice with Troy Landry and choot um ann choot um

Ann, Jr Martin used to do that.
You needed some basic skills to start with.
I don't know if he does it any more.

That's how I was first introduced to him through a friend that apprenticed with him.

DP

You might consider going to an Emmanuel Pariselle
one row building class.

Requires a trip to Europe or England.

He is a player/builder from France.

There are some youtube videos of his playing.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!