Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
melting/forming accordion wax

I don't know if this is a good idea ..
Perhaps Dana and Jim can comment.

But what I have used for touch-up and remelting
wax in small areas, is a Weller adjustable
temperature solder station adjusted to a very low
temperature. It has a small chisel tip.

It seemed to work well for me. I can melt or puddle the
wax with no danger of burning anything because of
the low temperature setting.

--Big Nick

Re: How to change a reed in my accordion

Just to let you know I ordered a replacement reed from Marc's shop in Eunice. the old one must have been defective as it broke. It was not expensive and easy to replace. My Pointe Noir is as good as new. thanks for all your advice. J Mc

You should be able to get a new reed (if needed) from FRM Enterprises in Canada. There are quite a few builders there that build 10 button accordions that might help. But I agree with Brian it's likely the reed is ok. You can just go ahead and take the reed out and look to see if debris is in the reed. Clean and reinstall. In most cases you can just push some of the wax aside and lift out the reed.

J Mc, I really think you need to take your accordion to another "repairman". A squeaking off pitch reed is not automatically reason to replace, and removing and replacing a waxed in reed is one of the more basic simple repair jobs. There are some accordions that are not waxed, but I can't imagine any repairman that hasn't seen waxed in reeds.

If a piano accordeon tech can't diagnose, identify and correct a diatonic reed problem, I wouldn't let him touch my piano accordeon. You've go the wrong person.

What city ? Perhaps someone can give you a referral to a competent tech.

Have you opened the box and looked at the reed ?
This is easy and need not be feared. I am guessing you can fix it yourself.

Have you depressed the button and vigorously pumped the bellows to see if this condition clears itself?

Brian and others here can coach you to open the box and isolate the reed. What you describe is not necessarily a busted reed... unlikely.

Re-reading your post... your tech doesn't know where to get a reed or how to install it? You must be joking. Elemental my dear Watson.

get skype and a webcam

I can walk you through it if you want

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!