Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Beginner seeking help

OH YEAH....beaucoup!

Mark, go to this link: BostonZydeco.org then click on the New England Schedule. You will find monthly dances at the German Club in Pawtucket, RI, There is a big Mardi Gras dance in Cranston RI and a big festival just outside of Norwich CT in June. There are other activities in the area. This site will help. What state are you in? I'm in MA just north of Boston.

Dana pretty much said it all. Learn it as many different ways as possible, until you're thoroughly confused -- which is a good thing. My motto is, "If you don't make mistakes, you're not trying hard enough."

Beginner to Beginner - 7 mistakes I made

Here are 7 mistakes that I have made that you might try to avoid. I, too, live in an area where there are no Cajun accordion players. It's just us, the internet, some tunes, and the Amazing SlowDowner. (Google the latter - it's handy.)

1. Check out Ganey Arsement's basic accordion video on YouTube (link #2). Dull and fundamental, but essential. I jumped past this basic stuff and nearly beat myself to death before realizing that this is the first-day orientation.

2. Chris Miller Love Bridge Waltz four instructional vids on YouTube (Link #3) are invaluable. Impatiently, I moved out on my own, seeking more upbeat material, missing many foundation elements, such as glue the fingers to the keys. (it's easier earlier than later in your accordion career to master this.)

3. Don't try to learn on an inferior instrument. I opted for a Hohner Arriette, and wasted half the time and all the money I spent on it because it was leaky, sticky, and unresponsive. A bad instrument is like a ball and chain. If you can't afford a mid-range accordion ($700-$1000), it might be best to postpone the the substantial investment of time it takes to learn the squeezebox.

4. I didn't take Big Nick's "Mary Had a Little Lamb" drill (Big Nick's Cajun Accordion Vol. 2) seriously. Big mistake. The left hand will miraculously separate from the right at some point in time. The more you play "Mary", the sooner it will happen. I call this the "first plateau" of learning to play the accordion.

5. Tempo. Work with a drum machine, metronome, or similar rhythm device. I tried to go it alone for over six months, and my playing was so choppy I couldn't stand it. Play to a steady tempo every time you practice.

6. Speed will come with practice. I tried to outpace my skills many times, but then I dropped back and often played too slow. Move the tempo up in gradual increments, and you will often find that faster is sometimes easier than a slow beat. Sometimes then next day will yield a vast improvement from the previous day's frustrations.

7. Don't expect to be able to play with the legends. Most of the good players have a 10 or 20 year head start on you. You must be realistic, but strive to improve every day. Play for yourself (for now), and you'll have an understanding audience when you screw up.

Having made these mistakes, I estimate that I have probably wasted a month out of the first six. Try to be patient and methodical.

All that said, the Cajun Accordion is a really fun instrument, and I'm anxiously working to reach the "next" plateau.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Nedro

Les sept Grosses Erreurs

That was some very good advice Ned. Well formulated.
a lot of erreurs sound very familiar to me.Respect!
I think everybody who starts to play this music should put these seven Commandments in a frame and hang it on the wall.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!