Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shoulder Straps

I'm still in a long recovery process from shoulder surgery and I find that after 2 or 3 songs my shoulder hurts due to the pressure of the shoulder strap across the top of my shoulder ( I've had clavicle bone excision and bursar repair )....this discomfort is applicable to my accordion and guitar playing. I have to stand at gigs and it's also my preference.
I know Geno uses a padded strap and I wondered if these were generically available from the makers or alternatively, does anyone have thoughts on what may be an option. I saw Geno at Cowboys and it looked like he had half a sheep's fleece wrapped around the strap....he's either carrying a sore shoulder or he doesn't want his trade-mark starched shirts creased or marked !

Re: Shoulder Straps

save all that money you just spent on that surgery and sit in a chair, or on a bar stool. otherwise you might find yourself back on the operating table. that would suck to not be able to play music anymore because of multiple injuries. the padded strap isn't going to take the weight of the accordion off your shoulder. all the old school guys sat or still do sit in chairs while playing live. you might have to swallow your pride for a while, but when your shoulder is nice and healed and you can stand and play without pain again it will be worth it. I had surgery on my back and had to sit in a chair to play a few gigs on fiddle, it was embarassing, but i was able to play without pain, and I didn't re-injur myself. hope you feel better soon, and good luck with the shoulder!

Hey Dixie,
I have a strap, but could never get use to it....what I do, I take my case on stage and put my foot on it and prop the box on my knee and play that way. It is comfortable for me.....later.
MarkS

That trick works for me too, and a beer crate could do the job just as well, be it full or empty ... Nout

I use this thing on my single row because it holds everything in place and my box won't bounce out of my hands. Not sure if it would alleviate the pain you're experiencing. Perhaps loosen the side on which you're experiencing pain and let the other side carry the weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Neotech-3101002-Accordion-Straps/dp/B000E2F3UQ

Darryl, You didn't mention which shoulder is the problem so I assume you are talking about your right shoulder. I have seen some box players place the shoulder strap over their left shoulder, similar to a guitar and play that way. I've tried it a couple times and it is playable. You might want to just not use the strap and simply place the box on your thigh and use the thump strap. Many players use this method. I sit and place the padded strap on my right shoulder with the box resting on my right thigh. This is fairly comfortable for me considering that my right shoulder is torn up inside and has little range of motion. I don't move it when I play and it works fine. If your left shoulder is the problem then either hold off until you recover fully or learn to play left handed. It's been done. Also, there are several sources for good quality straps. I would recommend The Button Box in western MA. They are good people and offer a single strap for Cajun and Irish box players. Their web site is buttonbox.com. Good luck.

Thanks guys..I have a quality padded leather guitar strap on order.......will be interesting to see how it works for my guitar playing. If OK then I might try something similar for the accordion.

My left shoulder is the problem. I tried playing the box with the strap over my right shoulder but during some early gigs it kept dropping off the shoulder, depending upon what shirt I was wearing, and I was left trying to play with the box unsupported while standing and/or interrupting my playing while repositioning the strap. That's why I opt for a left shoulder strap position like a guitar player would..right handed player that is.

And for medium to large venues with a dance floor I think it essential for all musos to stand( small gigs not so important )...
..see a separate post yesterday by another Brave about stage presence and connection with the crowd.
But don't start me on that subject..it's a pet hate of mine to see musos sitting down...bad, bad vibes IMHO !

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!