Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Reel Sainte-Anne on an Acadian by a Quebec player

Beautifully executed. Very interesting that this
technique is different than Cajun playing, if by nothing
else, by the monophonic lines .. no chording

--bn

Yes .. same as in the Irish music. Mainly single notes.
In Ireland and among folkies in Europe it's well known as "Saint Anne's Reel" - there is even a song about it: "The Legend of Saint Anne's Reel" or something, but nobody realizes it's actually from Quebec and that Sainte Anne is a town in Canada.
Nice one! Thanks for posting.

Peer: I'm actually doing a little research amongst my trad musician friends in Quebec and Atlantic Canada. Of all reels in Canada, Reel Sainte-Anne (or St.Anne Reel) as to be the most popular reel of all, and not just in Quebec. It is very popular amongst Acadiens, and in English Canada as well. So I wonder about its actual origins.... I'll let you know when I find out.
On a different note, I have decided to learn a song in Quebec style, and I choose Le Bonhomme et la Bonne Femme, here's what I'm using:

It would be very interesting to track down the roots of a number of the old cajun songs. Many are original compositions, but there are some (and I can't remember which) that have a definite Appalachian feel.

On the topic of that reel, it would be really interesting to hear it done cajun style. Peer???

John in Oregon

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!