Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A couple more stage presence ideas

EXCELLENT advice from Dana and Big Nick..all performing musos take note.
Had to laugh about the lost band members after a break....been there, done that. We make a point of mingling and connnecting with the crowd at breaks..but sometimes it turns into a ' Where's Wally ' exercise when we try to resume.

IMHO, the thing to always remember is that you are firstly a performer.....who co-incidentally, plays music...otherwise stay home and become a legend in your own lounge room. Eye contact is essential..not only to the audience but the band as well.

And if it's a bit difficult for anyone who's not quite so committed or extrovert..try Groucho Marx's philosophy.." If you can fake sincerity, you got it made ! "

I wasn't going to chime in here, since I've never played a gig, and probably never will, and I'm not a dancer unless I'm too drunk to remember.

But it did get me to thinking, of the people I enjoyed WATCHING, as well as listening to, some may have been pretty active and standing, and some were very subtle and sitting.

Like anything else, I think personal preference comes in to play here. I don't care for rock and roll antics on stage, unless it's Rick Reid (and may a very few others). But the reason I like watching Rick's antics is because it comes natural for him, and he's able to parlay his fun to the crowd. Not everyone could do this.

I think if you are "trying" to have a certain stage presence it won't work. If you can let your natural emotions come out, and they match the band's, it will work. I really think Christian nailed it earlier.

One of my favorite recent performances was by Cory McCauley, Mitch Reed, and Randy Vidrine at Festival Acadiens. All 3 were seated, and no antics. But they were obviously enjoying what they were doing, and were interacting naturally with each other. While they were playing I don't think they cared an audience was listening, and I think most who were there would agree that their subtle stage presence was powerful. If they had tried to do Rick Reid antics they would have just looked silly.

Wayne Toups is known for his roll and roll antics, but I've also seen him sit and play with heartfelt emotion, it works either way for him, but I would bet that if he was in a mood to sit and play traditional melodies, and someone asked him to get up and jump around and play Johnny Peut Pas Danser, it probably wouldn't work if his mood at that moment was to sit and play Bayou Teche.

A few performers with a strong stage presence include:

Daniel Lanois
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GH4FF5o7VM&feature=related

Timothy B Schmidt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF91ul0ZR64&feature=related

Mark Knofler and Chet Atkins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVLIZaxMk

There are many more...

I guess I view things differently than most on here. Mabey it is because of where I lived all of my life. But when I go to see a cajun band, I want to be entertained by the music. Not the band. I really dont care if they are dancing around onstage. I love seeing Ray Abshire play. It hardly looks like his bellows are moving, but his music is unbelievable. I personnally would rather hear my music played around a fire in the backyard or on a porch than in a club or festival. Dont get me wrong. I like seeing Steve Riley or Wayne Toups play a festival, but given a choice, I would prefer a jam session in Dowell LeFleur's backyard.

Which BTW....

Should be happening soon, right?

Re: 'Stage Presence'?

My friend. Is that "Stage Presence" comment still haunting you to the bones? Is it making you second guess yourself and wonder if being on stage is really what you want to do? Is it making you wonder if you were "good enough"?

It is a difficulty that may never be solved.
Just have the band master the songs and their instruments and play the gigs with confidence, maybe a few dozen beers to help pass a good time. And the next time somebody approaches you with a comment like that. At least break one of their kneecaps or smash your beer can into their forehead. Turn the table on them and have them hobble away thinking about it instead of you.

Bon Chanse,

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!