Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lyrics to Les plates sont tous mis sur la table

Hi....does anyone have the words
to this Creole gem? I have
Canray playing it.......

thanks.

roger

Re: lyrics to Les plates sont tous mis sur la table

Ayou Je vas aller pour trouver, un Job bon rien faire?
Ayou je vas aller pour trouver plats tous mis sur la table?

(where will I go to find a good "do nothing" job?, where will I go to find the table already set?)

Ayou je vas aller pour trouver une femme comme la mienne?
quand je crêve de faime, alle apres crêver faime Hey Lucille !!

(where will I go to find a woman like mine? When I am starving she is starving.. hey Lucille !)

Ayou je vas aller pour trouver ils plats tous mis?
Ils plats tous mis sur la table de ma maison ?

(where will I go to find the table set, the table all set up in the house ?)

I love love love this song. The first time I heard it I immediately thought of that song from the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou? that song Big Rock Candy Mountain. There aren't any similarities melody wise, but the content is the same. Where can I go where life is alot easier. Must be one of those songs born of, as Lionel Leleux put it, Dem Depression Days.

The verb forms might not be spelled correctly, but thats the words Canray is singin for sure.

Have fun

thanks a million christian.....i love love love the tune as well. laren droll, an accordion player who i am love love love'ing playing with turned me on to it. do you know of any other versions i might find other than Canray's?
thanks again for taking the time.

roger

Les Frères Michot do a version on their album La Roue Qui Pend. In the liner notes it says that they were at a festival and it started raining and a couple of people jumped in the back of their van (les frères michot) one of which was none other than Canray Fontenot! So they passed a good time by telling stories and swapping songs, one of which is the tune of topic, Les Plats Tous Mis Sur la Table! if you don't have it I'll send it to you

Another good version(Un place tout mis)by Jesse Legé and Southern Ramblers (CD "One hour of good time cajun music".

Marc.

Small correction on second verse :

Ayou j'vas aller pour trouver une femme comme La mienne ?
Quand je crève de faim, elle après elle crève de faim, elle aussi.

Marc.

hi marc!
bien merci!

roger

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!