Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ray Abshire's tone

Jude Moreau made this statement Nov 2011:

The closest I've ever heard to one of these old Sterlings or Monarchs would be Hohner reeds, or, Ray Abshires "C" that has Salpa #2 reeds that have been cut several times by Randy, just to get close to "that" sound.

Ray's Falcon has old Sterling reeds not Salpas. Randy recently built one for me with Salpa 2s and they do sound very similar, but his are Sterlings according to the builder.

I had the good fortune to be able to sit and play with Ray at his home a while ago. The reeds are for sure Sterlings. Was the only way Ray would have it..

It's not just about reeds. Abshire's astute dynamic control also contributes to his unique sound. He has a remarkable sense for the accent, often placed unexpectedly, and lapses of softness that have equal effect. This skillful contrast in volume, along with the tonal qualities of his accordion, serve to define his masterful technique.

It's not just the reeds, but they was he exploits them.

I know they're not Salpas, but they sound similar to my ears. The real test would be to sit down and play the two back to back

Maybe one day you too may sit in Rays home and play

My Falcon has Salpa reeds and we've compared them quite a few times. The Salpas are pretty close but they still don't have quite the same ring and crisp tone to them that his old German reeds have. If you were to hear just my accordion you would think it is spot on the old Sterling/Monarch sound, but if you play it or hear it back to back with his accordion like you suggested, you can definately hear a difference.

I wonder how much closer they'd be if they were the same age.

Bryan Lafleur
I wonder how much closer they'd be if they were the same age.

Bryan,
Do reeds "work harden" over time & use (movement)? Maybe explaining a bit the change in tone over time....

I think they do. I had a discussion with Randy Falcon, who also thinks they do, he said Shine Mouton used to say that the best a reed sounded was right before it broke.

I compare it to a piece of metal that you bend up and down. As you bend it up and down it changes the metal, softens it, up to the point it breaks. The harder you bend it, the quicker it will break.

I've noticed that when I first tune a new accordion, after just a few days playing it, the sound improves. I always play a new one for a week or so, then touch up the tuning before turning it over to the new owner. I think that's why Larry Miller used to offer free tuning after the first year.

Bryan Lafleur
I compare it to a piece of metal that you bend up and down. As you bend it up and down it changes the metal, softens it, up to the point it breaks. The harder you bend it, the quicker it will break.

guys who ran PAs back in the 70s and earlier may remember how fragile Aluminum diaphragms can be also -- same sort of principle IMHO...

the pistonic motion over time stresses the metal,
even given the 'super small' movement cycles compression drivers operate with, eventually they will break, given sufficient voltage...

if sufficient voltage is not provided, the older AL diaphragms just start to sound a bit less crisp and dynamic than when they were newer -- with less fatigued metal alloy....

seems like that mellowed response is desirable with the music 'producer' (the reeds of the instrument) and not so desirable with a playback system (a music 're-producer').

remember Gentlemen, that back in the day ca. 1800-early 1900, the quality and quantity of metals the Germans and English (especially steel) used was better than any other in the world. Some of the steel razors and knives I have from that time period from German and English manufacturers are of far superior quality than what you can get today. They just don't have access to the same material. its gone. used up. I have had metal workers confirm this. That the best carbon steel you can get today ain't got **** on the stuff the used back then. I will say that some of the alloys they make for certain purposes today are far superior to anything they used back then, but would that come into play with things like brass and steel reeds?. Just something to consider. Don't know if the older alloys, brass e.g., would follow the same suit as the older steel, but just something to chew on.

i;d just ask him! http://www.rayabshire.com/

i;d just ask him!

http://www.rayabshire.com/

he will talk to you!

great guy

but - ray;s playing is probably a big part of what you are hearing

not just reeds and falcon

i don;t even like that tone all that much on the video but his playing is super

wle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!