Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
To glue or not to glue

Play the way its comfortable for you. Just because one says glue them fingers doesnt mean it works for all. I try to stay as close as possible to the keys but my fingers are not stuck to any of them. Work the scales for octaves that helps place the fingers over different keys. Try to increase speed as you do so. Welcome to the 10 button box hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I am not the best or even close to it on this forum but I do enjoy it as much as any of them.

Re: To glue or not to glue

I say do what feels comfortable, at first, but once you get to know that keyboard, then really concentrate on what Chris mentioned. That's just my opinion, and how I started

I agree. It's more important to feel comfortable playing than to glue your fingers on the keys. I know players (outside LA) who lift their fingers quite high and still can play incredibly fast.
Which doesn't say it's bad advice to keep your fingers low. But an even better advice would be to have fun and feel okay, because that's what it's all about.

Well said, Peer. I always admire your wisdom and outlook on music, in general

Re: Finger Placement

I'm older than you, and in my 7th month, so I feel your pain! I am the poster boy for flying-fingers. Although I'm up to speed, I know from playing the trumpet that it's best to keep the fingers close to the keys.

The sooner you commit to good habits, the better. I'm really fighting now, late in the game, to work out of this bad habit.

Also, many players use only 3 fingers with the pinky only used for octaves. I can do it both ways, but I find that actively using the pinky makes wide-ranging licks easier for me.

It's all about comfort, but in the early stages you can train that comfort to be found in correct methods. This is an investment that pays off later.

I noticed the same thing after about the first six months or so when I started playing and after I heard Chris talk about keeping them glued to the buttons I started to make a real effort to do that as much as possible and really noticed a difference in my speed and I found I could really grab those extra notes and trills a lot better and after awhile it almost became a habit with me but it did make difference. Even now I don't always keep them glued but I play with my fingers a lot closer to the keys.

pinky is used in octaves, yes. Also chords, melody line and embelishing. Just use it more, as it feels more comfortable

hard to say

in favor of obsessing over details like finger placement:
you may develop bad habits

BUT
a. if you can;t play anything for obsessing over finger placement, that is no good.
b. there are a dozen other things you should also think about
and if you do that
c. you can;t play anything and it;s no fun

so

wle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!