Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Accordion Chords

Peer,

Agreed. Another aspect that is interesting to me is
that a double-stop (or two note "chord") can be used
for more than one application because it is not
definitive.

For instance, if one pushes just an "E" and "G" note,
that *could* be part of a "C" chord .. or .. it
could be part of an "E minor" chord. The bass player
or guitar player would make that distinction.

(The "C" chord is: C, E, and G, the "E minor" chord
is: E, G, and B. So just playing 2 of the 3 notes
could be construed as either chord.)

Braves .. other thoughts?

--bn

What sounds good to me, is someone doing a little chording, but also some riffs. I can't do it well and can't explain it, but I bet most have heard what I'm talking about. I've heard good players, do a little chording, a little silence, a little riffing, in the right places at the right time, sounds awesome. Just plodding along chording sounds monotonous to me. Also that base can really help out in the right places.

Bryan,

Good points! Just like seasoning in cooking.

A little in the right place is great. Too much, or
too much of the same-old-same-old is boring.

Quite the balancing act

--bn

Yes, I usually try to comp in some way or another. But it has to be done sparingly and rhythmically.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the issue of full chords or not. I play chords, intervals of 3rds, fifths, octaves, augmented with short runs. Whatever fits, whatever works.

To me, the main thing, is to play in a way that accents the rhythm. The way I approach it is NOT like a rhythm guitar, which is usually continuous. My approach is to think about it somewhat the way that a horn section plays behind a soloist - punchy.

Oh, and avoid overplaying or detracting from the other player. I try to be "sparse" and not too loud.

I have heard bands in which the accordion player totally drops out during the other solos, and it seems to leave too much of a void. That is especially true if the band is acoustic or semi-acoustic. Without some comping by the accordion, it just gets too thinned out and weakens the overall effect.

I've never really been a fan of that sort of thing. To me, it just sounds out of place. I guess because I've heard it done so much and usually not very well, or overdone. I prefer to mic the bass side, or use the internal mic to fill in the rhythm. Yes, I know that you can't do all of the chords that you play, but I may occasionally throw in a riff to cover that part. A good strong rhythm section should be able to stand alone without the assistance of the accordion. Tasteful accompaniment is okay, but an attempt to carry the rhythm is a put off to me.

FYI...the chord button on the bass sound of the accordion will cover the following chords.

C (C,E,G) Am7 (C,E,G w/o the root)
G (G,B,D) Em7 (G,B,D w/o the root)

It will not cover F or D.

"Tasteful accompaniment is okay, but an attempt to carry the rhythm is a put off to me."

I guess that's what I was trying to say by babbling. I can't do it well so I don't, but I've heard some do it where it sounded really good, but it was always sparingly.

i love the half diminished B chord (B-D-F-A on a C accordion), great for train songs in G. - Nout

Excellent topic. I don't think there is any set rule. It depends on the song your are playing and how many instruments you are playing with. If you have a bass, drum kit and rhythm guitar, then the accordion can drop out or drop back and play fill ins. If it is only accordion and guitar and fiddle, then depending on the song, the accordion could back off and play just left hand like you would in Bayou Pon Pon or you could do fill ins like Nathan Abshire does with the Balfas in Two Step de l'Anse À Paille. I play the Mardi Gras Song in D on a C box. I don't use the left side at all. I find I can play a good two note F and C, when I go to D, I can play either a Dm or D octave. I prefer to just tap the D octave during the lyrics. This only works if I have a guitar playing rhythm. It sounds pretty good. Again it depends on what you have for instrumentation and what song you are playing. When in doubt keep it conservative. I agree with all of you when you say a little seasoning makes the gumbo. Too much will ruin it.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!