Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Horner steel bronze reeds

I actually saw an old hohner from the 20's, or perhaps even earlier, a few days ago with the "Steel Brass Reeds" stamped on the inside face plate. If that's what you're talking about I would stay far away. The reeds inside were all on four long plates as opposed to individual reeds and the reeds themselves did not put out much volume at all and looked very fragile compared to the old blue steel or modern reeds.

I've got 2 in my shop like that right now, they're novelties. What's odd abou those old reeds on the single plates, is the base side has as good a volume as todays reeds, but the treble is very weak. I wouldn't buy any reeds like that to put in a good accordion. Might be worth fixing up an old accordion because they have a neat old sound, but don't expect much performance.

Some afficianados of Hohners consider the single zinc plates with steel/bronze reeds to have the best sound.

Second best are the same reeds on individual zinc plates.. rare

Third.. the same reeds on aluminum plates marked "H"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!