Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
How many people does it need to offend before they do something about it?

How many people does it need to offend before they do something about it? It's not like Warren Perrin is the only one it offends. It offends many people. Enough for a complaint to the FCC, even if Perrin probably won't win. The use of the word coonass does not have to be on the level of using the N word for blacks in order to be bothered by what the musician and the radio station are doing.

To me it's just poor judgement on the part of the musician AND the radio station, AND the supporters of the term. They are giving the rest of us Cajuns a great big FU just because THEY are not offended by a term that probably should offend them.

We hear things like this in Washington DC all the time with the football team name Redskins. People who want to keep it say things like "It only offends 10% of the Indian population." Well, it sounds like they're ok with using insults so long as it offends "only" 10%! Stay classy, Washington football fans.

And stay classy, supporters of the insulting term coonass.

Just my two cents! Have a nice day!

Re: How many people does it need to offend before they do something about it?

What a girl if it offends u change the station. It's that simple no need to cry like a girl and say the big radio station offended me. Just simply don't listen and u won't be offended. Oh yeah and there's the free speech thing been around for years.

Don't Broadcast Insults! Listen on your CD player.

Couillon! Ça c'est detestable ouais!

The airwaves belong to the public. Listen to insulting language on your cd player or at private events you pay for. You don't have a right to broadcast it to people it offends.

On est Cadiens, pas des tcheues d'chaouis.

Re: OT: KBON Radio Could Face FCC Complaint Over 'Coonass' Lyrics

The most common, accepted definition in French is: a diseased prostitute," said Perrin, of the word's origin.

Accepted by whom? Not by any of the academics who have written about the word in question. This explanation was made up by James Domengeaux in the 1960's. But no one believes that it is the right one today. The word has nothing to do with prostitutes or a French word that sounds like "coonass". It's just an American slang word as, I suppose, everyone knows in the US. It's strange that this lawyer repeats this legend since he is so interested in history.

Re: OT: KBON Radio Could Face FCC Complaint Over 'Coonass' Lyrics

While Perrin is at it, he should go after those Registered Coonass stickers in gas stations. The ones where there's a picture of a raccoon flashing his *******.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!