Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Two Step de Platin - what makes this different?

http://npmusic.org/Ambrose_Thibodeaux_Two_Step_de_Platin.mp3

Samples of 27 songs by Ambrose Thibodeaux here:
http://npmusic.org/samples

Sorry, I thought about that after and didn't follow up.

Balfa Toujours - Live at Whiskey Landing.
Ambrose Thibodeaux - Lps.

dwight
Just trying my hand at this one. Seemed simple upon hearing it, then, started trying to play it, and it's got some very very particular and quick movements on the 5/6/7 buttons.

Seems to go back to the 6 pull quite often. Is this another key than second position? Seemed to be a lot of pull too, but I might be wrong about that.

Yeah this song is in the 2nd position (Key of G on a C accordion or Key of A on a D). This is also pretty much the same song as La Valse de Samedi Soir but with different lyrics.

Another version of the tune is PeeWee Broussard's La Valse De Bayou Blanc, which has turn added, and different lyrics.

Jon Melancon
dwight
Just trying my hand at this one. Seemed simple upon hearing it, then, started trying to play it, and it's got some very very particular and quick movements on the 5/6/7 buttons.

Seems to go back to the 6 pull quite often. Is this another key than second position? Seemed to be a lot of pull too, but I might be wrong about that.

Yeah this song is in the 2nd position (Key of G on a C accordion or Key of A on a D). This is also pretty much the same song as La Valse de Samedi Soir but with different lyrics.

Oops! Yeah, I'm with Bryan. I missed the "two-step" part! My comments were in reference to La Valse de Platin.

This was either the first, or second, video I ever posted on YouTube. I learned it from Dirk, who I think learned it from one of those early documentaries like "J'etais au bal" or something like that. I can't access YouTube, here, or I would give you the direct link, but use link 3 below to go to my YouTube channel and scroll back to the oldest videos.

Also, now that the tune is in my head, I can't help but notice how close it is to Jamie Bergeron's tune "From a 10 to a 2."

I can play it, a bit roughly, but there sure is some very quick bellows direction changes when hitting that 6 button.

I'll look for the video.

Woops, missed the "two step" part.

also the ambrose version has at least one irregularish part
where it holds a chord without changing for 10 beats
not 8 12 or 16

also that one seems to be "push", to me

it;s in C i think
changes to G

wle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!