Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bye, bye Catin-Corey Ledet's instructional

The most common name of this tune is "Motordude Special", which Boozoo wrote about his horse. There are no lyrics.
Check out Boozoo's CD: Johnnie Billy Goat.

Come to Balfa Camp in 3 weeks Corey will be teaching.

Dr John

thanks. I don't have the album but i just listened to the track in amazon and you're right, it is the same song. I'll buy that album as soon as I can.
In the sample i've heard he sings:

bye, bye chére catin
bye, bye chére bébé

but i guessed that's all he sings in the whole song.

I would love to come to Balfa Camp some day. For us who come from Europe it takes a bit of planning to come to these events. I've been dans la Louisiane before and i'll be back there as soon as i can.

Merci

Miquel

Miguel,
Another good 3 row song by Boozoo is 41 Days. Not that you asked, but there you go. Good luck.
JJ

thanks Joel
great song!!!!!

Not really that popular in terms of zydeco, but Boozoo's version does stick in many ways outside of the parish popularity. But there are a boatload of versions, including one by the big band leader, Charles Roach. But as long as I have a tad of The Tuskegee Institute's School of Music in my soul, I guess my favorite version is that of Sueur Faucheux... he had a good one...

Paquet vers le haut de tous mon soin et ennui
Je vais, Le bas de chant, Merle d'au revoir
Là où quelqu'un m'attend, Sugar'
le bonbon à s, est ainsi elle
Au revoir Merle !
Personne ici ne peuvent m'aimer ou comprendre
Ah, quelles histoires dures de chance elles toute la main je, etc, etc,...

When he sang this, people would faint. The way he sang it meant a lot to older folks and people with illnesses. A lot of men would wait for this song before asking a woman to dance just to gauge their reactions as a test. In times of need, this song was used as a favor to soothe infants. It still remains as a useful favor, applied by many today, including within zydeco.

To be enclosed within zydeco, it takes a skill and talent to reveal such a force to a public who understands. I suppose that is why Sueur chose to sing of packing up. I know I would if I had the challenge of comforting the young.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!