Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big Question: Balfa Camp/Jam Strategy

So here's my thinking this year: I've learned how to play a lot of the right notes to songs, more or less - but I still don't sound "right". So I'm thinking to go to every possible big jam that I can and sit in the 2nd row, so to speak, or back in the corner, and just merrily play along with every song that I can; if I don't know it, I can usually fake it, or just chord along. I'm thinking that as long as I don't get too loud with it, I won't bother anyone, and then maybe it will help me get the right "feel". What do y'all think? Do people do that normally?

Of course, I still want to play in smaller jams with my friends, too, in a more conspicuous way.

Re: Big Question: Balfa Camp/Jam Strategy

I've seen people do that at Savoy's all the time.

get all up in it Jamey. Don't sit in the back. Grab someone you think "got that rhythm" and have them show you. Most early learners can play the **** out of the down beat, but have a hard time with the upbeat. familiarize yourself with that upbeat. stomp your foot for the down beat and slap your leg for the up, when you're in the car. or do the old school heel (down beat) toe (upbeat).

or get a guitar or 2 a fiddle or 2 and a singer or 2 and another accordion or 2 and have a micro jam within the macra jam...

or

Okay Christian, you just got elected! Let's play a couple of tunes together, and maybe you can school me a little bit. As for getting all up in it, do you mean try to lead a song or two? Or just sit closer when I play along? Man, I really hate to take a chance on pizsing people off by playing accordion too close/ too loud when another accordion is leading - especially if it's one of the big dogs, like Jimmy Breaux, or Jesse Lege, or somebody like that. I think I'm really asking about the multi-functioning of a jam. Maybe I'll start another thread about that . . .

But thanks for the insights. You and Chris Miller have both talked to me about emphasizing that upbeat (that's the 2 and the 4, right?), and I been trying to do that. I remember you saying that it's what you think Octa meant when he said that "you can't go wrong if you play it right!" I think I'm getting there, but who knows - I play by myself all the time.

What do you think of Charlies idea, the micro jam within the macro jam? I think we might get away with it: those jams get pretty big sometimes . . .

my experience and what seems to work at a jam= one accordion at a time. i guess thats why you see alot of accordion players that play multiple instruments! they don't want to miss out on all the action.

Accordion is such a strong lead instrument and not as strong as an accompaniment, than fiddle for example, and when you have more than one playing at a time it sounds... well disruptive and chaotic.

breaking off into a smaller jam happens all the time. If thats the whim of the jam gods than so be it.

yes jamey, the 2 and the 4 respectively, but note that Ganey and myself have pointed out alot of cajun tunes are actually in 2/4 time. so your upbeat would be on the 2 respectively.

packing a triangle or playing guitar are good ideas. If you don't know how to play them learn, it would be good for your rhythm exercise anyway

I don't really play accordion well enough to give you a demonstration of the appropriate feel for that instrument. There will be tons of musicians there that would be willing to show you I'm sure.

good luck and have fun !! see ya soon

OK, Jamey, you got me into this deal, and now I'm scared s***less!

If you're gonna be hiding on the 2nd row, I'm reserving a cocoon on the 3rd row!

-Terrified in T-Town

What I've found is most jams are organized by the Balfa Camp Marketing Group. By the way, funny you mention "strategy" in your subject line because they have a slang term, "stragedy" they use when addressing the outcomes of Balfa Camp. The BCMG, in turn, have a huge stake in the success of each class and jam. They have a large, regional focus group (post mortem) that reviews the success of every gathering. This is the reason for the recordings during these "jam" sessions -- usually by a Balfa official using an iPhone, etc. Once these recordings are collected afterwards, they are analyzed by representatives from CODIFIL, USL, LSU, and The Acadiana Times website office. These groups review the recordings from jams AND classes to determine the annual success in Balfa contributions by administrators and participants. Ideally, if you intend to participate in classes or jams with a musical instrument of any kind, be aware that you will be recorded, and all mistakes will unfortunately be recorded too. They are analyzed by these committees so that future changes (if needed) can be recommended. I truly hate the politics that goes on behind the scenes at Balfa. They will tell you they are only recording for quality assurance purposes only, but the reality is it ends up on the web.

Hmm .. I never heard this before?

--bn

First off, Christian: I didn't mean schooling me on the accordion; I meant that 2/4, 4/4, upbeat/downbeat emphasize business. Should take about 3 minutes to show me, and a lifetime to practice.

And Pete: I had no idea they were so informal. They need to get their chit together and take this stuff more seriously - otherwise I'll never have enough material for my dissertation.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!