Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hunter Hayes

Couldn't have said it better myself, Jude...excellent post !
And I can add...the young guy's gotta pay the bills somehow..if he's a pro musician then he'll probably have mouths to feed by now and bills to pay like the rest of us...it might just be that it's a very pragmatic decision to go Nashville/Country !I guess if Cajun Roots music was going to pay the bills then we'd all be better off...but perhaps it doesn't !

I first saw him at the Breaux Bridge Festival as a 10 yo, I think....he had it ALL !...good looks, talent,extremely well spoken, smart.....good luck to him I say. It's a dog eat dog business and he's probably been learning the ropes over the last few years to prepare himself for a record deal and touring .

Maybe Hunter really likes Nash Vegas commercial progressive modern how ever many tags you want to define it as country music. Maybe that is what he truly likes to create. Personally I think the whole jambalaya-boy "play this dam 10-button" was forced on him at a VERRRRY early age from forces that were likely to give him a time-out if he didn't pull that thang. Can we at least be thankful he is still creating and hasn't been put in prison for narcotics or forcing a family member to listen to Austin Pitre recordings backwards. Repeatedly. Through in-ear monitors. Very loud.

I do not like Stevie Ray Van Haughlen. But I believe he enjoyed what he created and did it for himself. He happened to be very good at what he did and the Lord was happy. So don't judge an artist based on the Savoy principle unless you know him personally and what makes him tick.

Re: Taylor Swift

I thought Taylor Swift already won that.

Dwight Yoakam

No I believe Dwight won it.

Re: Dwight Yoakam

No, I don't believe I did.

amanda shaw another SWLA talent gone completely country

amanda shaw
another SWLA talent gone completely country
she does hold a fiddle but that is about it

wle

Re: amanda shaw another SWLA talent gone completely country

even when she plays cajun, it doesn't sound like it. and I tire of the self promotion.

Though her "Danse a Carree" was invigorating.

Our friend, does still play the accordion quite often, and as a matter of fact has played with a little group that , i played with in Carencro several times, he came out and jammed with us, in that little old house we would practice in and would sing and play our accordions and is still very passionate about his roots, accordion, and all types of music. He carries his accordion with him on tour still. He still incorporates his Accordions into his live performances, and last I spoke to him, he was working on Project that would be traditional works. His true love though is the guitar, from what I understood from him. His mother is kin to one of the band members, that I played with in Carencro. Wish I could find the photos of when he played, but cant at this minuute. As mentioned earlier, all you do is play music and entertain for a living, you got to pay bills, and maintain. Now in this young mans life, he has publicist, agents, image consultants, legal team, copyright team, Contractual Mgt, Insurance companies, Radio Show contracts, Entertainment Contracts, and Large fines in those contracts, if he does not stick by their guidelines. As well as Taylor Swifts requirements from him contractually, Dodge Ram Trucks, and certain Country Music stations. Along with being ssked to sing on the Movie Footloose Sountrack. .....Money ... money ... money.... It has nothing to do with any Savoy theory, how crazy. I can tell you from first hand experience, that NBC & Discovery Entertainment contracts, do not allow my band to do certain things, or talk about or promote projects we are working on at all, or we would have to pay $50,000 in fines each incident, if we do before our performance airs. Once a big break comes your way it comes with a price and someone else controlling the puppet strings, so to speak. We were asked to perform, country songs and I said absolutely not! They said well, the producers want you to do a country song instead of your original Cajun Two Step, " Mom and Dads Two Step" we said no again to country, so we were told that we would be on the show that was being produced but not in the capacity we could have been.They thought they would control us as artist. I wont even mention the country song they wanted us to play, because it would have been more of a commercial for that artist. Now the show will still air on NBC in May, and we have been notified by Producers that we will have a spot from the video taping, which was hours they did if us, but wont be moving on with them, because I stuck to my guns, and refused to play anything but Cajun Music, simply out of principle and pride, and to be first Cajun Entertainers on this type of NBC show to represent La. Our sponsors, though National Outerwear Sponsors in clothing industry completely agreed on our decision, and remains our sponsor. Producers, agents, lawyers can try to bully you, along with fans and haters etc, but we ask in the Lord to guide us, and help make right decisions, money or no money, we just want to have fun with others, and playing music has been my best medicine, after being diagnosed last year in 2011 late with Lymphoma, Diabetes II and Thyroid disease. For me and my family, and my good friends that know me, my purpose is to show the world, I could and maintain, and stick by a dream, and keep it my dream not the producers, agents, contracts, and critics in any forum.. For Hunter his dream is being a teen idle, in Country Music, and some folks like being controlled, because when they take the wheel themself, they just might crash, like so many other well known stars.

To Dano

To Dano I agree....

I never intended for this to become a trash Nashville and modern Country thread. I just wanted to know if it was the same Hunter Hayes. But, it does get a little old to play clubs for a tiny cover, then have to do a four hour set with no break because the owner wants to keep the crowd there and drinking and walk out at the end of the night with very little to show for it. Great if you have a day job, but burning the candle like that is not good for your health. Like Nathan Abshire said, "The good times are killin' me" I say good for Hunter and Amanda if they can make money at their art. They are both tremendously talented and entertaining. Since the music industry is fixated on youth they have a limited window. It's good that they are going for it and taking their shot. Check out the link for Hunter appearing on the Swamp N Roll TV show back when Dr. Feelgood (RIP) was still with us.

Hey Johnny, I really didn't mean to sound as if I was "bashing" Nashville. It's just the way it, as I see it.
But to answer your question, yes, that is the very same Hunter Hays, growing into a talented young man and well on his way to being a country music star! Geaux Hunter!

No problem Jude. It would be terrific if he gets to play the Opry (if he hasn't done so already) and whips out the accordion and has Jimmie C. Newman (if he is still alive?) join him for a cajun tune or two.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!