Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unusual squeeze box.

Several years ago I picked up an old squeeze box as a “someday project”. It is and inexpensive 10 button with 4 base buttons. It has two reeds per note, all mounted on a single continuous base plate. It has a red wood grained finish and I saw a similar one on e-bay marked “Germany”, though this is unmarked. I am guessing it is 1950’s vintage.

Not surprising the bellows leak and a leather valve of two is missing but everything else works. What is unusual is its high pitch with a concertina like sound. Also strange, is it is tuned to a G # scale. I thought at first it might have been out of tune but each note of the scale is correct. The base side buttons give the normal base/cord on the first two buttons with a minor cord and lower note on buttons 3 and 4.

It is possible it was tuned to an A = 415 or 465 rather than the standard A= 440 which would account for a half note either way or it just may have been made with a G# (or A flat if you will) scale. I do not know how common this is in old instruments.

I thought I might re-reed the thing, but from my previous post I believe the new reed expense would be a poor choice; also the high pitch is a nice change once in a while. So I think I will clean it up, plug the leaks etc. and use it as is.

Just wondered if anyone has messed with, or has any information on these old boxes.

Re: Unusual squeeze box.

They made all kinds of weird key boxes back in the day, at least from what ive read. Might have been intended to play with horn players, given the A flat key. I think its really cool that it had minor chords on the bass side. Personally I would restore it and keep it A flat. Fiddler would just have to tune down a half step and play in A and E. good luck to ya and hope the box turns out well

I had several old books on these kinds of boxes. I don't know what happened to them over the years. My girlfriend probably burned them like she did with so many of my publications and videos.

What I do remember were two user manuals (en Español) on accordions from the Canary Islands. Odd keys like the one you described, particularly G# or Ab is a popular with the local pito herreño players. These accordions were used for ritual purposes, mostly in Macandal ceremonies. It may be bad luck to have such an accordion in your possession. If you handle it, make sure you clean your hands thoroughly afterwards.

dang Pete, she really burned your stuff?? That's f*cked up

Yup, Jim, I'd heard that about Pete and his girlfriend - I figure that's why folks say he's so burned out . . .

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!