Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: When to change songs

Ya Jimmy but you play that s h i t WELLLLLLL

I'm with Nedro on this one

Do you listen to a lot of cajun music. If not then listen to one of the internet radio stations like Cajun Music Radio.com or KBON in Lafayette LA. You need to be familiar with the tunes as you will learn and play by ear. I also highly recommend Big Nick's box lesson web site as well as his "learn to play Cajun Accordion" DVDs. His teaching method is excellent and you will quickly add tunes to your repitoire. I have been playing Cajun for a little over one year and my list numbers 20 tunes. 18 two steps and 2 waltzes. I learned from Big NIck's DVDs. When I have memorized a tune, I then add it to my playlist and start to learn another. I keep practicing the tunes I already know. I also practice with an electronic metronome on my computer to get proper timing which is very important as this is dance music. The rate you learn new tunes will depend on how much time you can practice each day. If you can get together with a more experienced accordionist, it would be a big help for you. Go see a cajun band and talk to the accordion player. They are always eager to give pointers to new players. You will get a wealth of information here as well. Good luck and keep squeezin'.

New here but feel your pain. I started just a few months ago and find myself curious enough to continue with listening to others for learning too but mainly to make up my own stuff too. What do you think of this?

The same for voices when boys begin to grow
Ya gotta take a lesson from mother nature if you do you'll know
When it's time to change
Don't fight the tide go along for the ride
When it's time to change you've gotta rearrange
Who you are and what you're gonna be

I know it may be somewhat deep. But it speaks loud as a Martin blaring through a pair of Community VLF218s.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!