Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Balfa Camp Report

Gabe and I survived our first Balfa camp. The instruction was great and we were really pleased with how accessible most of the instructors were.

We didn't do too much late night jamming (Gabe was too wiped out by 11:00 pm--and I was too, if I'm telling the truth), but we did play a good bit at the Sunday Superjams and at spontaneous jams during the day.

My decision to ditch the box for jams and play guitar was a good one. Those jams are a lot more fun when you can play all the time instead of waiting for a turn.

For us, some of the highlights were:
1) jamming with Ryan and Ed Poullard
2) listening to D.L. Menard talk (always a trip) and perform--plus there was cake for his 80th b-day.
3) listening to Courtbouillion perform for the nightly dances. They tore it up!
4) the McCauley, Reed, and Vidrine reunion--heard some great stories and Mitch was playing that fiddle like he was possessed.

Gabe got lots of props from his hero, Steve Riley, and I got some good advice (and props) on accordion from Ed Poullard.

The only downside to camp was that I had to leave early. Got a tick bite on Tuesday and started feeling bad by Wednesday. By Thursday, I felt like I had the flu so we packed up for Eunice. Two painful shots, an antibiotic, and some bloodwork later, it turns out I got something nasty from that bite. Next year, I'm bringing TWO cans of repellent!

Re: Balfa Camp Report

And we got to see and catch up with lots of great people from this board--and Jamey too!

I'm Jealous. Next year... I keep saying that, but next year I wont be in school during Balfa camp, so hopefully I'll be there. Glad you guys had a good time. Thats awesome you can share that experience with your son (I assume thats who you meant).

And people say I am full of **** when I say that place is in the middle of the sticks.

randy4u
And people say I am full of **** when I say that place is in the middle of the sticks.

No, people said you where full of it because you said it was "crap land" not because it's out in the middle of the sticks. I guess it's crap land for farming, but Chicot isn't a farm it's a state park and a lovely one at that.

I wasn't complaining. I was just reporting. I plan on going back next year if finances allow.

When I was there last year, I did see several wild hogs in the Park, and a few deer.
Where there are hogs, deer, cattle, or coyotes, there will be ticks.
They are just part of the outdoor landscape over many parts of the US.
They can even infest your backyard if you have pets and dont't keep the yard sprayed.
Unfortunately, some of them can carry some nasty microbes.
Sorry that you had to pick up a bug from a bug, Jude.
Glad you are well now.

JB

What disease did you pick up from the tick, Jude?

Don't know. They're doing blood cultures. It doesn't seem like either Lyme or Rocky Mt. but Lyme can be deceptive. We won't know for sure for about a week. It's probably just a bad-ass generic bacterial infection.

Back when I was a kid working on ranches, then in the Rockies working for the US Forest Service, and even when I was on active duty with the National Guard, if I found a tick on my bod I would hold a lit cigarette close enough to warm up the tick but not burn a hole in JB. The tick would eventually let go; head, mouth-parts and all, not leaving anything behind under the skin to cause an infection. A trick taught me by Grandpa. Of course, you had to be smoking the cigarette. So which is worse?
JB

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!