Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Christian, you are correct about your friends Acadians

The reed response is at an absolute optimum. The inside of the bass box is built so that as much of the wood the accordion's made of gets the sound of the reeds (for starters, the bass box is wider, the valves are as thin as a sugar cookie). Point being, there's more of the wood exposed. The dimensions of the bass/chord "rooms" (for lack of a better term) are not the same size. I'll take a pic to clarify....

The treble reedblocks are a different strain of maple than he used to usd. It is white as a ghost. He is also shaping the stop slide holes differently than he used to. I realize how controversial this may sound to you, but on the site he mentions "precision with the switching mechanism".

These are my observations. All I know is that he makes those reeds respond better and faster than any accordion I've ever played. This, to me, is why it's the best. It almost plays itself, sounds great and is loud, but not tooo loud.

Re: Christian, you are correct about your friends Acadians

I appreciate the technical improvements. I wonder why he doesn't use the bellows with shallow folds. The deeper folds open more widely but the shallow ones have a mechanical advantage when the accordion is between closed and half way open. Its seems easier to change directions with the bellows. More sound less effort.

I bought two accordions in the mid 90s a Shine Mouton and an Acadian. The Shine was a lot easier to play I think because of these bellows. It was also lighter which could have been a factor.

Shhhh. Quiet.

(jim, you need to say these things very, very, quietly or you will awaken the wrath of he who must not be named!)

Re: Shhhh. Quiet.

who like randy4u ? randy4u ? randy4u?

My hands and my ears are happy that I don't give a sh*t about his rancid opinions, about Marc.

No offense, JoeCamel4U

Must clarify, I love other brands too!

I failed to mention that I do love all the other accordion brands I own... even my older Acadians...

Bon Temps, Martin, Heritage, Cajun (Doucet) and even Hohner HA114, are ****ed good accordions. Each builder has their own recipe that has grown on me. The proof that I'm not blowing smoke, is the simple fact that I haven't sold them, and God willing, never will have to!

And, also, I wanted to say I've tried Bryan LaFleur's 9 button, he made Chuck at Augusta, and I enjoyed playing it, greatly. He is innovative in ways that most builders aren't. His latest project of having four bass buttons on a 4 stopperis something people haven't seen in a century. Actually, in this case it has 5 stops

Re: Must clarify, I love other brands too!

Thanks, Jim, but please don't ever feel like you have to defend reporting favorably on Acadian accordions. No one should ever question that Marc has produced, and continues to improve on, some amazing accordions, and a guy as smart and innovative as he is, who's been building for 50+ years, will learn a thing or two.

I'm trying to blaze my own trails, but I'm doing it off the one he started a long time ago.

Joel Martin actually used to have a four button bass box that his grandfather experimented with. Worked out pretty good but I think Joel eventually decided to stop using it in favor of using the triple row instead.

I really that old stuff about who builds the best was gone by the wayside on here but I guess some people likle to keep it going...it never stops does it.

It's called Accordion Warcraft, a new computer game .. - Nout

but wait there's more

So, who's the best box player of all time?

Re: but wait there's more

You better start a new thread for that one!

Voldemartin?

Best .. Haven't played it yet . . but for my money for veteran builders.... Jude Moreau
For mass producers.. Martin and Savoy.. Tina makes very good accordeons.

Between Martin and Savoy : tough, it would depend on who would have the respect for the player and the wood and the project to do miters.

Both are fine traditional "Cajun" boxes...
I'd still go with a Moreau for traditional

or for the newer builders , easy, L'Ainse Gris (sp) from LaFleur.. I haven't played one, but in looking at the design materials and workmanship I'd commit without a reservation for a "new style" advanced thought box...

For non Cajun one rows..
Castagnari of Italy, Rees Wesson of Wales , Martin of France, Gaillard of Brittany,
( who may make another batch after an absence of 15 yeras for his one rows) Bergstrom of Norway..

Jean DeVivier
Best .. Haven't played it yet . . but for my money for veteran builders.... Jude Moreau
For mass producers.. Martin and Savoy.. Tina makes very good accordeons.

Between Martin and Savoy : tough, it would depend on who would have the respect for the player and the wood and the project to do miters.

Both are fine traditional "Cajun" boxes...
I'd still go with a Moreau for traditional

or for the newer builders , easy, L'Ainse Gris (sp) from LaFleur.. I haven't played one, but in looking at the design materials and workmanship I'd commit without a reservation for a "new style" advanced thought box...

For non Cajun one rows..
Castagnari of Italy, Rees Wesson of Wales , Martin of France, Gaillard of Brittany,
( who may make another batch after an absence of 15 yeras for his one rows) Bergstrom of Norway..

The notion that Tina builds Acadiana accordions for Marc is a complete myth. Tina's roll in that shop is to deal with customers, answer the phone and basically run the music store while Marc is in the back building accordions. Everytime I go to the shop Marc is in the back building accordions.

It's ok that you believe that.

Jean DeVivier
It's ok that you believe that.

What, are you saying my actual observations with my own eyes on numerous occasions were just illusions? I guess you just know everything there is to know about everything...

Btw, I'm interested to know what evidence you have contrary to my own eye-witness accounts. Do you even live down here in South Louisiana? When's the last time you stopped by Savoy's Music Center on a weekday?

Mr. DeVivier, I'm still waiting on a response to the questions I posed in my previous post. Since my previous post I see you have posted in other threads but have not replied to my questions.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!