Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Air button keeps backing out on my Regal box

I think hat Loctite is available in a variety of
"strengths" .. i.e., from permanent to removable.

That would probably be the "professional" way to go ..

This seems like it might be the one:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/features/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

I should have clarified, Loctite now also makes many glues. They originally were just a thread locker, and now I think make several versions of just that. But really, nail polish works just as well. Got the idea from a professional gunsmith.

Hi, the Loctite we know in Europe is made of a blue colored sticky filler stuff i wouldn't really call glue; you usually put that on metal nut-bolt or even tapered thread in metal to metal constructions that vibrate like used in a car. Maybe there's a wood friendly stuff for sale in the USA, i dunno ....

- If a screw hole in wood is worn i usually make a filler with some wood-dust and epoxy. Or just a little woodglue or cyanoacrylate (woodglue works better) with a chip of a match stick pressed into the hole, when you're in a hurry.

- With epoxy: put a little stiff soap on the screw itself and you can screw it in the hole when the epoxy starts to harden a little, making it possible to remove it again later. Don't over-tighten yet. Let it dry a while 'til the epoxy hardens out. The tightening depends on the drying speed of the used epoxy. Then tighten the screw later without too much pressure at first, until the epoxy has really hardened.

- If you got the time, fill the hole up with the above epoxy trick without the screw, and then after hardening (pre) drill a new screw hole. - Nout

Dwight is there a spacer on the screw between the button and the flapper? If there is no spacer to stop the screw from turning so that the button is tight up against it then the screw will keep backing out. If no spacer I can make one for you. Also I did see that on the Regal I worked on the spacers and the screw were really of a small diameter. If that is the case with yours it may need to have a bigger screw and larger diameter spacer. Otherwise it will keep wiggling around.

You just talked yourself into a job. Ok, just looked at it. It does have a spacer (pliable plastic somewhat like that heat shrink tubing used in electronics), but the screw diameter looks somewhat small.

Wanna take a look at it?

Yeah. I think that small diameter is not allowing your button to tighten up. Maybe just a bigger diameter will fix it. E-mail or call

Yeah, it's an easy fix.
Sometime circuit board standoffs from the computer junk store do the trick.

DP

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!