Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Turn on your Love Light - Chubby - key, box

My usual way of figuring out what key a song is in is to go to the end of the song and see what the ending note/chord is (using Transcribe).

On this song, seems like they end in F, then do a second ending in C. But I'm not sure.

So, I'm just guessing, is he playing a F/Bb/Eb box and playing primarily the middle row in second position with excursions off now and then.

I'm trying to pick out single notes from the song, but there's so much background sound, I'm not getting clear hits on notes using my slow down software, and I'm ending up playing along in GCF, just listening to positions, but, in some spots, I need to know the notes.

So, if someone could clue me in on the key, that would be great.

Re: Turn on your Love Light - Chubby - key, box

Hey Dwight,
I play that on my single row A box in key of D. Nice singing key for that tune.

Dwight,

Do you have any kind of keyboard, or maybe an acoustic guitar? It greatly simplifies figuring out the key and chord progression of a song if you have an instrument that can play all keys and all chords (and notes).

I have accordions in lots of different keys, but it is slow and clumsy to identify the key by switching accordions around until I find the right one. And that is if I even have the right one. (For example, I hear more and more songs recently that are played on a G single row, often in the key of D. But I don't have a G box.) With my acoustic guitar or keyboard, I can find the key and chord progression in seconds.

-David

Only thing I have would be my fiddle, but I'm only used to playing 1, 4, and 5 on that. So, stuff off the beaten path will be more difficult.

I think he's playing this in Bb/F, based on some opening notes that didn't have the full band behind him.

So, that's F/Bb/Eb accordion, second position middle row, primarily.

I'm a limited musician with a limited ear.

Dwight, you have an FR-18.
Just keep changing the key until it is right.
It's not that many buttons to push

I'm not yet used to all the different patterns for getting notes out on the triple row. There's more options than a single row and I'm not yet where I can hear positions when someone is playing a triple row, unlike on a single row (sometimes).

used to do that in C on the F row [2nd position]

i think we used to do that in C on the F row [2nd position]

but i have never heard chubby;s version

it was just where the guitarist wanted to sing it, or it was a compromise between his voice and available accordion keys i had at the time, and his guitar solos

wle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!