Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: To B. LaFleur

Damien and Jean DeVivier must be brother and sister since they both have the same IP address.

Both mitered

Re: To B. LaFleur

Twins !

For Dwight .. song key

dwight
... I was over here trying to use a saw and a bow to figure out the key of a song.
- In almost all cases the key of a song or piece of our Western culture based music is the same as last note of the melody ... BUT those exceptions are very interesting, like Madam Young /Colinda/ La Kalinda (more or less African-calypso related tune), ends on the 5th, and gives you the feel to us Caucasian white-eyes that it never ends properly ... Nout

Re: For Dwight .. song key

I know, that's what I usually use, but, as you pointed out, it doesn't always play out like that. And a triple row adds more complexity/possibilities as to what key the box actually is, as opposed to what key the song is.

Re: For Dwight .. song key

A standard 3 row box has one, possibly 2, notes not found on a standard 2 row box. It is the reversals and the location of the duplicate notes that makes play "easier" and able to play in more keys.

Tex Mex music was "invented" by Santiago Jimenez (Flaco and Santiago Jrs father) played on a Hohner 2 row Pokerwork.
Santiago Jr still rips it up on a two row and in my opinion is a superior player to Flaco, 2 row or 3 row.

Re: Oooooh, Mitered Corners! That really makes the accordion... Not Really

You know...just for the sake of throwing out a bit of info most people don't realize, some of Marc's first accordions had mitered corners.

Mitering corners shows an understanding of woodworking, a respect for materials and the project.
It demonstrates a respect for the customer and offers a little more for their money.

It takes a little more time, and that is why the
high production builders such as Savoy and Martin use butt joints.Slap it together and belt sand the corner.

I take about 4 minutes a year to state the position on mitred vs butt joints. I'll make that up tonight and play a few more minutes.

Meanwhile,go ahead and continue to extole the (lack of) virtues of a, no talent needed, butt joint.

There are Cajun builders who miter and make fine boxes. I know of no Euro or Quebec boxes that have butt joints.

Back in the 70's studying cabinetmaking it was a none issue. You learned to make mitered corners. So.. when I started to build accordions I used methods I had learned. Basically, in my humble opinion, it just shows skills you have been able to master much as an accomplished accordionest will play all the licks and things he has learned when playing.

Thanks John,

A simple message from one of the most accomplished Cajun accordeon makers in history.

I hope you will start building again.

Re: Accordion choice SIMPLIFIED

Struggling with something like an HA-114 could possibly make you give up playing.

You can make almost all your money back, or all of it, or more (depending on price increases), if you buy a major La. brand, try it, and, if it doesn't work out, sell it.

Not so with the Hohner.

I think I would be easily inclined to buy a good LA-made accordion in the first place. That makes sense. I would love to come down, drive around, and test different accordions in different shops, but I'm very much out of the region, and a trip down to Acadiana is easily 8 hours away by car. Worth it? I'm sure a trip would be a blast, but it's hard to plan with a busy schedule. And I would love to start learning some Accordion 101 basics even now (I have heard Big Nick's DVD's are excellent). Do people even rent accordions - even for a few weeks just to get started? And are there music stores in Lafayette and other cities that have good accordions in stock, ready for purchase? And for learning how to play the box, do many people find a teacher and take lessons in a traditional manner? Thanks.

Do you have experience playing any other musical instruments?

I'm a beginner, & recently purchased an accordion (my first Cajun) from Jr Martin. It's very nice, & I'm very satisfied with it. He had two in stock, & the other may still be available.

Before the purchase, I watched lessons on YouTube, and Big Nick's web site. I now have Big Nick's DVDs #1 & #2. These are superb for learning. I have no desire or need to get a teacher.

Prior to getting the accordion, I downloaded the Zydaccordion application to my iPad. It's a very well done application, but ----.

"Struggling with a Hohner"

Fast , light, easy to play, fun, cheap. With a little tuning, a fine box.

There are very fine players still using the lowly HA114 to great success. Lots of great music has been played on Hohners.

Donlt rule them out.

Bought used, rarely depreciate.

I agree: HA-114 is a decent box

I think the HA-114 is a decent box - it's what I learned on.

They are enormously, vastly superior to the junky Arriette. No comparison.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!