Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wontcha Hep me? - 3 row pointers desired.

To quote the illustrious Jimmie Davis.

I need help with the triple row, moving beyond the second position slot that I'm overly exploring. Things like pentatonic runs, arpeggio runs, etc. SOMETHING to let me run around the keyboard more, and add some interest, and also to keep from having to make large jumps to hit buttons at either end of the keyboard.

Any method books out there that might help? Anybody on here have any pointers?

Re: Wontcha Hep me? - 3 row pointers desired.

Milleret/Pignol three cds and books from The Button Box... best there is.

Merci.

Further explanation..
The Milleret/Pignol starts you off on two row exercises that progress to a three row instrument with accidentals on the third row.

However there is so much to be learned from the two row studies that will build your multi row skills.

There is an excellent tutorial for three row for Zydeco style... I'll find the link.

The Tex Mex guys are the "kings" of three row...
I'll see what they recommend.

The Flaco video is helpful.

Corey Ledet's 3 row video.

Yeah, I have that one. That one actually happened because I was talking to Wilson Savoy saying nothing was out there, and something was needed, and, by the way, take the grill off the accordion so we can see the flappers. Which works fine for my Erica double row, but on Corey's triple row, the flappers were offset from the button being pressed, and it was befuddling if that was what you tried to look at.

also - find your flat 3rd

2nd that corey ledet

if you do one thing, do that

if you are on a row, it is on the one further in
if you are on G, it is on the C row
it;s a pull

ok
on the middle row, find the regular major 3rd
which is B
it is a pull
the Bflat [flat 3rd] is on the F row now, about 1.5 buttons closer to the floor
[since they are offset rows]

wle

I have the Corey Ledet 3 row video. But, I'm looking for method, not how to learn certain songs. If there is another zydeco thing out there, yes, let me know.

first thing: find the flat 3rd!

first find the reg 3rd, note=B on a C row, [chord=G]

flat 3rd is also a pull, one row inside [above[theF row]], 1.5 buttons 'closer to the floor'

[[1.5 due to the 'offset' of each row]]

wle

[[sort of a repeat]]

2nd that corey ledet

if you do one thing, do that

if you are on a row, it is on the one further in
if you are on G, it is on the C row
it;s a pull

ok
on the middle row, find the regular major 3rd
which is B
it is a pull
the Bflat [flat 3rd] is on the F row now, about 1.5 buttons closer to the floor
[since they are offset rows]

wle

Not sure if I'm using exactly what you're talking about or not. I use a Bb (3rd row) B/D (2nd row) combo a lot, all pull. So, that's a flatted third in alternation with a third/fifth.

What I was more wanting was techniques for running up and down the keyboard like I see players doing. I guess it would depend on the song, and I'd have to find an example, but, as a filler, do people do pentatonic scale runs up and down, or do they do chord arpeggio runs?

One example might be the intro here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4fPDbBUuA&feature=related

I'm trying to come up with some exercises to practice to gain more familiarity with the keyboard and facilitate throwing in some fills here and there, not necessarily running all over the place.

wow
ok
dwayne dopsie
i could NEVER play that fast or all over the place

i do have corey ledet;s video though

that would be the beginning of 'how to do that'

wle

I don't expect to be able to play that fast, or that comprehensively within the next 50 years, if ever, but, just trying to come up with some exercises that would help me move around the board.

So, maybe I should just ask the question: what is he doing there? Noodling chords? Doing pentatonic runs?

wow
ok
dwayne dopsie
i could NEVER play that fast or all over the place

it is so fast it just sounds like 'random notes hit really fast' like bebop or something, i assume most of it isn;t

one thing a diatonic has going for it though in terms of speed, is, there are less wrong notes to hit :)

i do have corey ledet;s video though

that would be the beginning of 'how to do that'

wle

Dwight,
I'm in. I got some good stuff from Cory at Balfa camp last month, and it lit a fire under my butt to get going with my triple row. Send me an email at jjzp@me.com and we can discuss how to proceed. I don't know a lot yet, but need/want to moving with all these buttons.
JJ

JJ,

I would be interested in seeing what Corey played for
you as well, if it's an open offer

Unfortunately, I missed attending Balfa camp this year
do wife my wife's most unfortunate medical condition.

Merci beaucoup,

--BN

You bet Sir.
Will get you what I got from camp.

Hey Dwight
link no 1.....he has a board for tex mex players...there is a tabaluture section with lots of songs...those guys plays all over the keyboard....and to learn scales go to link no 2...excellent tool...only drawback it is in spainish...but there is some english know how instructions somewhere on the net that will show you how to navigate it..I use both of them...later gater

Hi Mark,

Have you tried using that resource yourself? I have Senor Maestro software, but don't get too too much out of it. Just wondering if it was helping you.

The Tex-Mex guys do play all over the keyboard, but sometimes it's playing scales in thirds, or in sixths, but, it sounds Tex-Mex, not zydeco.

I tried to email the address on that site to ask something, and the email bounced back.

I do use both of them....they say in Tex Mex music that learning scales is the biggest part in learning the instrument...which you know is boring...the other link to Reyes...has a board...much like our own Cajun Acc here...there is a page that has a lot of tablatures songs...plus there is also a mp3 page so you can hear the song also....I am learning a song, which is more interesting then learning scales....they both help me...but learning the song has help me more...to getting use to the 3 row....but I like Tex Mex music...but also like zydeco also...I have the Corey DVD to help on that part..but like we all know..there is just not a whole lot of 3 row learning material for us zydeco players...........the song I am learning now goes across all three rows....I notice a pattern in Tex Mex music...they will play as much as they can going in one direction with the bellows before changing directions with the bellows....on the song I am learning..they make me hit a 2 button note on the third row instead of hitting the same note on the first row, but the 1st row note would cause a directions with the bellows....but anyhow that is my 2 cents...later gater

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!