Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Instructional videos - any with notation?

I'm probably a month or so away from starting the Acadian accordion. I am very excited, and with Jamey and Brett's help, I have some theory in hand already prior to acquisition of a box. And I see where on the staff the notes on the C accordion would be. Do the standard instructional DVD's that several have recommended here use notation as part of teaching the accordion? Is a button number format/tablature method used as well or actually more often or exclusively? Do most novices learn by DVD method, in and outside of Acadiana? I imagine a few learn directly from a teacher, but probably not most. Thanks.

Re: Instructional videos - any with notation?

Mr Big's DVDs !!! And for fiddle for you as reading classical trainee: Michal Doucet's DVD, books. Learn the tunes on fiddle first, you'll get going a lot faster and throw that Enigma Machine AKA Cajun accordion out the window (for a while?) - Nout

Absolutely use Big Nick's instructional DVDs. They all come with a booklet which includes notation and tablature. They are reasonably priced and very professionally produced. I am learning Cajun accordion from Volume 3 right now, as there are no instructors in my area. If you can learn from an instructor then that is the best way to learn any instrument. The DVDs are an excellent alternative and if you do have an instructor, they will compliment the lessons. Regardless of what you already know, please start with Volume 1 as you will learn the basics which are very, very important. You can also go to Big NIck's box lessons site which will give you a basic overview. You can also learn The Back Door from that site. Good luck and keep squeezin'.

Speaking as one who has been learning on my own, I would say to get Nicks videos. Great way to get you rolling on some songs and to learn technique.

Don't get dependent on the tabs. Learn to find the keys by ear and not by number. That will serve you a lot better in learning new songs.

John in Oregon

What's the easiest and quickest way to order Nick's videos? I wish I had them yesterday as I have likely access to a local loaner, hopefully today or tomorrow!
Thanks.

See Big's website at link #1

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!