Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
instructions and warnings

It took a little practice to get it down, but it's really easy, but only if you are very careful with each step. This is the way I've been doing it...

Before taking off the keyboard from the accordion, unscrew all the flappers and lay them out on a table. Absolutely make sure you don't invert them. They must lay on the table, exactly as they are on your accordion.

Do not lose any screws!

Taking the flappers off, while the keyboard is assembled, makes a world of difference, than doing it with it detached.

Next I opened the accordion, and unscrewed the fingerboard, so it is separate from the accordion

Then you gotta put painter's tape all over the fingerboard, in between the flapper rods, etc. I should have taken a picture. Basically the only things exposed are the rods.

Put the screws back in their holes on the flappers, if you want them painted too. They should rest on the holes, all the way in.

Spray the paint about a foot and a half away from the fingerboard. Zip left, zip right, or visa versa. If you apply too much paint, then you gotta wipe it off with Acetone, and start again. Practice pressing the spray can nozzle on some cardboard, until you absolutely are sure you won't add too much.

Rustoleum only requires about 10 mins to dry enough to add the second coat. Add second coat, just as you did the first. If there's any non painted areas (which there shouldn't be)... allow to dry again for another 10 mins.

Once completely dry (wait about 30 mins), remove all screws again (if you [painted them), set aside... remove tape. If you see any paint, anywhere on the fingerboard, it can be scraped off carefully. It is easier if it's only slightly dry. If completely dry, it's gonna be much harder. Also, you have a chance of scraping your finish....

However, you want to have enough tape so that this does not happen. It did with the my first accordion I did this to, but the next 8 I did with no problem.

Once removed tape, you should put the fingerboard back on the accordion, before putting the flappers back on. Having the faceplate as a resting place for the flappers while screwing them back in, totally makes a huge difference.

NOTE: There is a possibility that some of the flappers could be slightly out of alignment, if you accidentally bumped a rod, or if you screw in the screws with too much force. Realigning the rods is the hardest part, if you have never corrected this issue before.

Aluminum rods SUCK to realign... copper is much, much easier to fix. The difference is a few minutes with copper, as opposed to hours of trying to align aluminum, and a possibility of breaking them. Aluminum rods break. Never broke a copper one in my life, but a while ago I broke an aluminum one, trying to adjust on one of my boxes. The builder replaced. I broke the rod, only because I was trying to stop a leak that wouldn't subside. This wasn't from one of the paint jobs...

You also should fluff up the felt with a flat blade screwdriver, to fix any potential gaps. If the gaps are huge, that means it's slightly outta alignment. Like I said, it's fixable, but takes a lot of practice. I've been raising and lowering action for years, and it's become very easy to me (with copper, but I'm getting better with aluminum).

and a common sense warning.... Spray in ventilated area, away from animals and children.

If you want me to do it, I'll do it for 25 bucks + paint, tape and shipping. I can send all that remains back to you. I'm very frugal with supplies, so I won't waste.

And believe me, I will be extremely careful, as if was handling a living baby.

another option is brush paint

`Rustoleum makes brush paint, which can also work, but it won't set as even... at least it never did for me. I've never been good at making even brush strokes, to lay flat. That, for me, was more frustrating than all the work involved to spray. But, I've never been a painter.

If you're good with a brush, then it'll take far less work, than to spray

Re: another option is brush paint

Jim,
So you have 5 Acadians AND a Martin!?
That red Martin looks great.

I have a red Martin too. Recently purchased red mahogany.

Bill, it looks great!
Tom- 6 Acadians, 1 Martin, 1 Heritage, 1 Bon temps, 1 Cajun (Elton Doucet), 4 Hohner HA114

Jim,
Yeah, you probably should be lending those Acadians out to newer players in an honorable gesture of helping to foster the perpetuation of Cajun music.

Your new best friend,
Tim in San Diego

awesome....

if they need to rest for a while, while in transit, I'm in colorado...

lol

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!