Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: switch of styles

That's not far from Nederland , close by Port Arthur.
There's an active Cajun scene.
There are a lot of vids on youtube, see link#2.
Maybe Bryan isn't that far, but in your country everything is far away.

Bryan LaFleur is about 230 miles due North of you.
near Canton.

Ed Poullard & Jude Moreau are in Port Arthur & Beaumont, respectively.

You could not go wrong with any of these three quality builders.

I am opening a trap door here, but you will just never be able to get the correct sounds to come out of a 3-row.

You should be able to fit right in to the music as soon as you get a good box.

Are you in a band?

JB

San Antonio

JB
Bryan LaFleur is about 230 miles due North of you.
near Canton.

Ed Poullard & Jude Moreau are in Port Arthur & Beaumont, respectively.

You could not go wrong with any of these three quality builders.

I am opening a trap door here, but you will just never be able to get the correct sounds to come out of a 3-row.

You should be able to fit right in to the music as soon as you get a good box.

Are you in a band?

I USED TO BE IN A BAND A COUPLE YEARS BACK BUT ALL MEXICAN/TEXMEX MUSIC.NOW I MOSTLY PLAY FOR PERSONAL ENJOYMENT.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cajun music. You came to the right place for help. The fact that you already play a diatonic button accordion is a big plus for you. I highly recommend starting with Big Nick's "Learn to Play Cajun Accordion" Vol. 1. Then go on to Vol. 2 and 3. It will be money very well spent. You can also go to Big Nick's box lesson site for some good starting info. You will find that the scale is the same as on your three row. If the row has 10 buttons then the scale will start on the third button on a press. If the row has 11 buttons then the scale starts on the fourth button on a press. As for an accordion, if you can afford it then go for a hand made Louisiana/Texas box. If not then try either a Gabbanelli Cajun King with Tip a Mano reeds or a Weltmeister Cajun . Both are in the $1,000 range and are decent boxes for the money. My feeling is the Gab is better but either will be a good start. Good luck and keep in touch with the group.

Dana R Gregory
Welcome to the wonderful world of Cajun music. You came to the right place for help. The fact that you already play a diatonic button accordion is a big plus for you. I highly recommend starting with Big Nick's "Learn to Play Cajun Accordion" Vol. 1. Then go on to Vol. 2 and 3. It will be money very well spent. You can also go to Big Nick's box lesson site for some good starting info. You will find that the scale is the same as on your three row. If the row has 10 buttons then the scale will start on the third button on a press. If the row has 11 buttons then the scale starts on the fourth button on a press. As for an accordion, if you can afford it then go for a hand made Louisiana/Texas box. If not then try either a Gabbanelli Cajun King with Tip a Mano reeds or a Weltmeister Cajun . Both are in the $1,000 range and are decent boxes for the money. My feeling is the Gab is better but either will be a good start. Good luck and keep in touch with the group.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFO. ILL START LOOKING AROUND SEE IF I CAN FIND A LOUISIANA BOX FOR A DECENT PRICE BUT IF NOT ILL BE CHECKING OUT BOTH THE GAB & WELTMEISTER. ILL DEFENETLY KEEP IN TOUCH AN THANKS AGAIN!

You are pretty close to a fairly active Cajun music scene from Houston eastward. Cory McCauley lives and plays around Houston quite a bit, and Jude Moreau and Ed Poullard around the Port Authur both build nice accordions and are great musicians and teachers.

Bryan Lafleur
You are pretty close to a fairly active Cajun music scene from Houston eastward. Cory McCauley lives and plays around Houston quite a bit, and Jude Moreau and Ed Poullard around the Port Authur both build nice accordions and are great musicians and teachers.

THANKS FOR THE INFO ILL CHECK IT OUT. AS FAR AS ACCORDIONS MADE BY THOSE GUYS IN PORT ARTHUR ARE THERE ANY LINKS/WEBSITES WHERE I CAN SEE SOME OF THEIR WORK AND ACCORDIONS FOR SALE.

Fortunately, they don't have web sites.

I have owned 2 Moreau accordeons. Highly recommended.

Bohemian
Fortunately, they don't have web sites.

I have owned 2 Moreau accordeons. Highly recommended.

CAN YOU GIVE ME AN IDEA AS TO PRICES I REALLY WOULD LOVE TO GET THE REAL DEAL TO LEARN THE STYLE OF MUSIC CORRECTLY IVE HEARD A WELTMEISTER & A GAB BUT ITS NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME SOUND AS A REAL CAJUN ACCORDION.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!