Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Boozoo's "Johnnie Billie Goat"

For ease of finding the song, the title is given in English as "Johnnie Billie Goat".

However, the lyrics are in French. "Johnnie mal cabrille" is how it is spelled. Cabrille means goat, mal cabrille means male goat (billie goat).

Re: Boozoo's "Johnnie Billie Goat"

Actually not sure of the correct spelling, but the French word for goat is usually spelled "cabri".

Thanks everyone for your input.
I've learned lots in such a short time
I've listened to all the songs you mentioned. I guess Corey does just a mix of different versions.

Bryan you're right, the right spelling is cabri. I don't know where the "mal" comes from. An english influence? Cos "cabri" is already a male or also a "bouc". (similar in many of the romanic languages)
If Marc is around he'll be able to answer this i guess.

Allez! au revoir et lachez pas la patate.
Miquel

I figured out the "mal" part years ago when I was trying to understand the French words in the song. I finally found "mal cabris" in one of my Louisiana French dictionaries. It might have been the Creole dictionary, but I don't remember.

But now that I think of it, it wouldn't be the Creole one, because they would have spelled cabri with a "k": kabri.

In french standard, "un cabri" (male or female) is a young goat. Also "un chevreau" (male) or "une chevrette" (female). In old french, we said "cabril".
Goat (female) = chèvre
Billy goat (male) = bouc

Marc.

Thanks, Marc, I hadn't heard of those terms. In my limited French, cabri is all I ever heard. Looking in the dictionary of La French, they mention "bique" for a female goat.

Re: spelling

Thanks everyone for the spelling corrections!

DP

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!