Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Whiskey Drinking Man triple row video, and Zydeco Cha Cha single row videos up on YouTube

When Zydeco Cha Cha is played on a single row, it is, shall I say, not at it's best.

Normally it would be a piano accordion or triple row song. On a single row you have to leave out a bunch of notes, especially on the B part.

Zydeco Cha Cha on single row

David,
I'm going to have to both agree and disagree with you! :)

Agree, sounds better on triple row or PA.

Disagree you need to leave out notes on a single row.
The notes are there, it's just a pain to play them :)

Re: Whiskey Drinking Man triple row video, and Zydeco Cha Cha single row videos up on YouTube

I may revisit it on the triple row then, as I learned it before I started playing the triple row, and learned it from Boozoo's version.

Why don't you post a video of playing it on triple row?

Nice work Dwight. How did you record that? The fidelity is perfect. I love how the button clacking sound is reproduced on that Roland. Sounds extremely authentic.

I'll work that song into the repetoire tonight when I get home. thanks.

Thanks for the support, Johnny.

Hey, do me a favor and record some of your other songs too, so I can learn more stuff.

He does some other noodling in that song to break things up, but what I posted seems to be the primary recurring themes.

Regarding the recording, I just have a ****ty little webcam. The audio is poor on it, in my estimation, for music at least (ok for spoken word). Distorts way to easily. I have to keep the volume down on the Roland or it sounds really bad, and in the end it's a bad advertisement for the Roland. Ganey's video recordings sound MUCH better. I have a Logitech C210 or C310 webcam. I think its' the C310.

PS, some of that button clacking noise is actually the sound of me hammering the keys probably too hard. I'm an excitable boy. But the machine also does do an emulated sound for the buttons.

PPS for where I'm doing that two finger blend, bouncing from the middle row to the inner row, I believe Roy is doing that with his bass side buttons. However, I don't much like the sound of the bass side on the Roland when played alone (too woofy), so, I do it with that blend instead.

OK, here's a video

Sir! You have shamed me into taking action. My very first YouTube video. Be kind...

Actually, there's two. One played up to speed and another slowed down and pointing out some of the details/playing tips/ideas.

For me, playing this song on a single row has too many compromises. On the triple row, you can play all of the arpeggios, full chords and blends. I tried to point some of that out on the second video.

Re: OK, here's a video

Merci, mon ami. You have finally earned that tshirt I gave you long ago!

Sincerely, thank you very much. Gives me something to work with, and a good little tutor on arpeggiating I IV V.

Re: B part chords

David,
Great breakdown!

There is one difference in the "B" part in the arpeggios of your version as compared to Clifton's version.

It's in the third arpeggio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROH6xWQCFI0

Regards,
DP

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!