Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
#14 and Jamey's song of the ...

Just finished #14 and gave it a test drive on 2 songs, Jamey's song of the ... Creole Stomp, and new owners request, Attrape-moi Mon Chapeau.

Re: #14 and Jamey's song of the ...

nice job-----all the way .....

Are you getting better, or does that fine instrument #14 just make it sound that way?

Nice work, by the way, on both the tunes and the box.

Thanks folks. That is two songs I've had a hard time trying to smooth out. Still feel very choppy on Chapeau. Any one have problems with that song, or any advice on smoothing it out?

Maybe play it on an FR-18. Surely they have a rhythm stabilization mode.

Try playing it slow until you get it perfect, then gradually speed up. This usually helps me. Good luck to you and that accordion sounds fantastic. You're playing has improved since the last time I've heard you by the way.

I've done the slow down thing a lot. There are just some songs, for whatever reason, I just can't smooth out. Attrape Mon Chapeau is one of the first songs I "learned", so I've been working on it almost 6 years, and think I have it ok til I record it.

Hey Brian, you have improved incredibly. That Creole Stomp just sounds amazing.
Impressive box too!

Maybe Mon Chapeau is stored in your head this way - I mean the way you played it years ago. It's sometimes very hard to get rid of old habits when you play old stuff, anyway, that's what I experienced.
That you play Creole Stomp smoother is maybe because it doesn't carry with it the burden of the past. I think it sounds great.

Re: Creole Stomp

Bryan,
I think you did great on it.

If you smooth it out too much all the "Creole" goes out of the Creole stomp and it goes rhythmically "flat".

But that's just my opinion.
(Others may feel differently)

Regards,
DP

Nice job on both, Bryan...I agree with the others that you really are progressing. Your comments got me to thinking about posting a video or something on "how to play smoothly"...but really you are not that choppy, but I think I know what you are after...so if that sounds interesting....let me know.

I'd sure like to hear some thoughts from the pros on playing smoothly. Gene

Now come on, Chris. Any video you put out, whether just playing, or instructing, is very eagerly awaited my most, and definitely by me. A video on tips for playing smoother? Absolutely!

One thing I've noticed, is some songs seem easier to smooth out than others. Both of these songs have given a very hard time on that end, and I can't put my fingers on why. Almost an unnatural feeling.

Chris is absolutely right, you are a musician, don't degrade yourself too much bro, you can overdo being modest ...

Developing any skill: For plaing music the hardest part to learn is training your brain to transfer music you hear internally and can "play" in your mind, via the physical connection of nerve cells who in turn are in control of your muscles and them ole fingers. And don't forget the returned acoustic feedback signals, check-check, comparing the input of your ear-drum mechanics converted back to digital signals and later chemical long term memory storage your brain works with. A better working brain, the more gain, amazing eh?

PS this guy's brain probably sucks if he wants to play a Cajun accordion:

- Nout

No matter what I play, build, or do, I will always pick it apart as a harsh critic and will never be content.

excellent! that is what a cajun box is all about.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!